Recipe please

Dekers

Ok, cooked a lot of this over the years but probably stuck in my ways, need some more ideas...

Rear leg of Roe is getting cooked, either whole or slices (Steaks) and I have a Rainbow of about 1.25 lbs. I have plenty of Venison sausages of various sorts and Venison burgers, I was looking for a recipe to keep it as meat. :good:

VERY simple, quick and easy, tasty, recipes please, Rainbow for starter, Venison for main..that was the idea but your suggestions welcome!

Cheers

try cooking the venison haunch baked in hay

smear the venison in lots and i mean lots probably a whole pack of butter then season with salt and plenty of pepper (garlic,juniperandfresh thyme is optional). Get a large casserole dish (lecrueset type thing) put a good layer of hay into the bottom of the dish then put the venison on top then pack it loosely with more hay (like newspaper shreds in a parcel) dont cram it in tight but put a reasonable amount in then stick it in a low oven about 140*c for around 6hrs carve and eat with whatever you fancy. Some people sear the meat before putting it in the hay but i prefer not to.

Rainbow trout

the best thing I have found to do with this is to gut it sprinkle it with lots of salt and a good dose of lemon juice then throw it in the bin. The lemon juice and salt should stop the bin from smelling too much.

If you must eat it try filleting it and doing a 50% salt to 50% demerera sugar mix submerge the fish in it in the fridge for 24hrs. Then wash it off dice it then mix it with lots of chopped fresh herbs, some horse radish,a squeeze of orange juice and some cremefraiche have on toast or with a salad as a starter

hope this helps nick

try cooking the venison haunch baked in hay

smear the venison in lots and i mean lots probably a whole pack of butter then season with salt and plenty of pepper (garlic,juniperandfresh thyme is optional). Get a large casserole dish (lecrueset type thing) put a good layer of hay into the bottom of the dish then put the venison on top then pack it loosely with more hay (like newspaper shreds in a parcel) dont cram it in tight but put a reasonable amount in then stick it in a low oven about 140*c for around 6hrs carve and eat with whatever you fancy. Some people sear the meat before putting it in the hay but i prefer not to.

Rainbow trout

the best thing I have found to do with this is to gut it sprinkle it with lots of salt and a good dose of lemon juice then throw it in the bin. The lemon juice and salt should stop the bin from smelling too much.

If you must eat it try filleting it and doing a 50% salt to 50% demerera sugar mix submerge the fish in it in the fridge for 24hrs. Then wash it off dice it then mix it with lots of chopped fresh herbs, some horse radish,a squeeze of orange juice and some cremefraiche have on toast or with a salad as a starter

hope this helps nick

:hmm::rolleyes::good:

Appreciate the response but not sure how that equates to quick all round and not sure about the bin for the trout :good:

If you want quick and easy for the venison, sear it and roast it.

As for Hendersons idea with the trout - Virtually the same principal as gravad lax - Simple prep (but i would leave it in the fridge weighted down for 48 hours personally) with the sugar and salt curing it. Leaves you with nothing better to do than put on your best smoking jacket and wax lyrical.

the venison bit is quick because it takes no time for the actual preparation probably about 5 mins then just bang it in the oven and forget about it just carve it when your ready i frequently knock a few degrees off the cooking temp stick it in the oven before I go to work and then dinner is ready for when I get home.

As for the trout, come on you know those still water rainbows just taste of the **** they feed them

To keep it simple with the Trout, head and tail off, remove guts, wash, small sprinkle of salt and pepper inside, a small **** of butter inside, wrap in foil,

cook in oven for about 15 mins. :good:

EDIT:

OK can't say small **** of butter, or small *** of butter, hows about small amount of butter?

Edited by Browning

To keep it simple with the Trout, head and tail off, remove guts, wash, small sprinkle of salt and pepper inside, a small **** of butter inside, wrap in foil,

cook in oven for about 15 mins. :good:

EDIT:

OK can't say small **** of butter, or small *** of butter, hows about small amount of butter?

Cheers....

To be honest, that is what I normally do with the trout, and add a few herbs as well, its very quick and simple and almost guaranteed to work!! :D

the venison bit is quick because it takes no time for the actual preparation probably about 5 mins then just bang it in the oven and forget about it just carve it when your ready i frequently knock a few degrees off the cooking temp stick it in the oven before I go to work and then dinner is ready for when I get home.

As for the trout, come on you know those still water rainbows just taste of the **** they feed them

Cheers!! :good:

I'd like to think these are not your everyday farmed trout, certainly not from my waters...the 3 browns have already gone, and delicious they were, the rainbow is the only one left... :D

PS...they are pictured after cleaning in my sink at home, just an hour or two after they were swimming around!! :good:

post-20848-1280354321.jpg

Edited by Dekers