Blowing Raspberries

UKPoacher

Wash them, dry them and then freeze them on a baking tray so they freeze individually then store them in plastic containers so you can use them later on in the year. We have them on our cereal and little wife makes blackberry rolly-poly and apple and blackberry crumble using feral apples. Waste not, want not. :good:

• 3 weeks later...

BLACKBERRY VODKA

1 litre wide-mouth bottle

12oz 350g blackberries (take care not to bruise/crush them or you will get a blackberry/vodka smoothie!)

2 or 3 cloves

1" 25ml cinnamon stick

4oz 125g caster sugar

I bottle of cheap vodka

Some fruit in the bottle then some sugar some more fruit more sugar, at some point put in the spices, repeat and then pour in the vodka.

Stopper it and leave alone for as long as you can resist temptation.

Enjoy.

Blackberry jam

1. Two big handfuls of blackberries (washed, de-insected and cleaned).

2. Crush out the juice through a sieve (fine mesh one) and save for use as a cordial

3. Throw remaining puree into a saucepan and heat to boiling with a bit of water

4. Add sugar to taste, approx. equal weight to blackberries (this will be a lot and remember when mixture is cooler it won’t be as sweet)

5. Add one teaspoon of mixed spice (or bit of nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves (if you like that Christmas-ish taste)

6. Add a dash of either apple (for sweeter) or lime juice (for tangier)

7. Then my cheat is to use a tablespoon of that red gel used on flans to set the mix instead of pectin, stir this in continuously whilst boiling.

8. Then turn off heat and stir into a jam jar/container, allow it to cool naturally on the side and transfer to fridge

This is lovely, i made a big batch of it yesterday :good:

• 2 weeks later...
BLACKBERRY VODKA

1 litre wide-mouth bottle

12oz 350g blackberries (take care not to bruise/crush them or you will get a raspberry/vodka smoothie!)

2 or 3 cloves

1" 25ml cinnamon stick

4oz 125g caster sugar

I bottle of cheap vodka

Some fruit in the bottle then some sugar some more fruit more sugar, at some point put in the spices, repeat and then pour in the vodka.

Stopper it and leave alone for as long as you can resist temptation.

Enjoy.

How long can you leave this unattended, because I'll be away from home for 3 months, and it'd be nice to have something waiting for me :lol:

How long can you leave this unattended, because I'll be away from home for 3 months, and it'd be nice to have something waiting for me :lol:

Shouldn't be too much of a problem. 3 months is about right and you won't be tempted to try it if you're not there.

Try bramble whisky as well.

• 3 weeks later...

Thought I'd add a couple of suggestions from a previous year. I was looking at how the sloes were doing this year (very well), and could not get over the heavy blackberry crop, so provided yours are not already picked it may be well worth giving these a go.

Blackberry Brandy by Dizzylizzie

Like many of you, we've got lots of sloe gin on the go at the moment, but if you fancy some instant loony juice, try this recipe for blackberry brandy - it's VERY moreish and is ready to drink straight away. Hope you like it!

2lb blackberries

8 cloves

Pinch of cinnamon and nutmeg

8oz granulated sugar

10floz brandy

Place the blackberries and spices in a saucepan with half a pint of water. Simmer for 20 minutes, then leave to cool.

Strain the fruit through a fine sieve, then measure the juice and add 8oz sugar to each pint of liquid.

Put the liquid into a clean saucepan and heat gently until the sugar has dissolved. Leave to cool, then add the brandy and bottle it up.

I've been told that this concoction improves with time, but sadly we've never managed to make it last beyond a week!

Blackberry Whisky by MC

3lb of blackberries

1 1/2lb of sugar

2 bottles of cheap whisky

Leave for 3 months and then filter and drink.

Bramble Jelly by pig

Seedless jam is called Bramble jelly. In my opinion it is far superior to jam.

1lb blackberries

1/2 pint water

sugar

lemon juice

Bring the berries and water to a simmer. When they are all mushy pour through muslin or pillow case and leave over night.

Measure the liquid and pour into a saucepan. Add 1lb sugar to one pint of juice. Add juice of one lemon. Boil hard until it coats the back of a spoon.

Pour into jars.

Great with venison as a sauce