Foxes

gary29428

First photo is the fox I had been after for about 2 weeks, I put in about 15hrs work on the ****er. It's a vixen which had killed 2 lambs over the christmas on a local farm, I had seen it 6 or 7 times twice in the field it had killed previously. Eventually shot it at about 120yrds in a field I baited with rabbit over 3 nights.

Second is a 1 of 4 foxes we shot on Tuesday night, just took a pic to show ye his tail, half of it was missing.....

100_0491.jpg

100_0518.jpg

Rifle is a CZ Hornet which I think is a cracking rifle, have had it for about 2yrs and have shot a lot of foxes with it. I only use Winchester Varmint 45gr hollow points, and the scope is a BSA Contender 7-24x50. Got the scope in Cabelas last year on a business trip to the states, got it for $100 and it's worked out perfect, can't remember the last time I missed a fox. I think the mounts are very important and are worth spending a few quid on, I am using Millet mounts which again I find very good, they were pricey at $70 but worth it. The rifle gets bumped about a bit but never fails were it counts, on the shot.

I had to go to Millet mounts when I put a 56mm scope on my CZ, as you say they are very good, my only concern would be zeroing up from scratch again as they adjust up from both sides (if yours are the same as mine) so you can be miles out to start with.

I rough 'bore sighted' mine just by looking through the barrel at an object in the distance and then went from there. I miss my Warne rings but as CZ's have wierd rail sizes you are limited to what you can use :lol:

Nice work on the foxes BTW

Well done Gary,

i had a similar thing on one of my farms, a Dog fox, clever ******. Managed to stay just out of range for a few nights, really started to P*** me off, tried baiting with rabbit,pheasent, but no luck.

Eventualy one of the cows calved that day, so went back to the field just as it started to get dark, didn't have to wait that long.

110 yards, just kept the lamp off him, result.

More rewarding when you get the one that plays up, keeps you on your toes, trying to come up with new ways to bag them