Anyone tried Marrow Rum?

malkiserow

Anyone tried this?

Is it worth a go?

This is cut an pasted from another forum......

I have discovered that stored in a cool location, marrows keep for weeks. Our marrow has waited to be turned into something delicious since mid September. It had gradually changed in colour from dark green to a paler green with small dashes of orange. It was time to give it the Cinderella treatment.

When Lindsey emailed me with a recipe for marrow rum that she had found in a 1954 cookbook. I could see a great future for our companion vegetable. Lindsey had tried to leave the recipe as a comment on the site and I discovered a few days later that my spam filter had gobbled up her comment. Apologies if this has ever happened to you.

So today this is Lindsey’s recipe with some other twists that I discovered on the excellent Selfsufficientish forum. There are quite a few recipes for marrow rum knocking about on the Internet. A few even use rum!

The forum discussion on marrow rum has some good pointers to making some great grog. mattachinelee has a similar recipe at the start but adds the sieved marrow flesh and cooled boiled water to the demijohn and leaves the grog in the airing cupboard for a year. I think that I am going to try his route with one change. When fermentation ceases I will rack off the grog into a clean demijohn. As I don’t like the idea of the grog sitting on the marrow ‘lees’ for a year.

Apparently marrow rum is amazingly potent stuff! Just the sort of grog that eases Cottager Smallholder inhabitants through a grey winter. I have seen marrows on sale recently. Why not give it a go?

Farmer’s Marrow rum recipe

Ingredients:

•I large ripe marrow with hard skin

•3-5 lbs of demerara sugar

•Activated wine yeast (Lindsey suggests bread yeast would do at a pinch)

•Juice of an orange

Method:

1.Slice off stalk end of the marrow with a bread knife. Savng enough to use as a lid. Remove all pith and seeds.

2.Pack the cavity with demerara sugar.

3.Pour over previously activated yeast and the juice of an orange.

4.Replace top of marrow, seal with sellotape.

5.Hang marrow in a muslin bag, cut end uppermost in a warm place.

6.After 3 wks marrow may show signs of leaking out. Either make a hole in bottom of marrow and run liquid into fermenting jar. fit airlock, let ferment out. You can if you wish add a few raisins to fermenting jar. syphon off and bottle.

or

Lindsey suggests pack with yet more sugar, reseal and leave longer. This is from a recipe I found yesterday and as I want max juice…..!!

or

At this stage mattachinelee in the selfsufficientish forum takes a slightly different route. Pour the sugar mixture into the demi john. Scrape out the marrow flesh, sieve and adds this to the demi john through a funnel. Add more yeast and the juice of half an orange. Top up the demijohn to three quaters full with cooled boiled water to the demijohn. Fit an airlock and leave for a year in the airing cupboard. This will produce 5 pints of rum.

Lindsey points to a note from 1954 book: the longer you can keep this the better it will

Read more: The Cottage Smallholder » Farmer’s marrow rum recipe http://www.cottagesmallholder.com/farmers-...2#ixzz0x4sNCC2p

Youll be sorry :yes: We used to make this stuff in an old caravan

and hang the marrows up in tights,learnt it off my mates grandad

who learnt it as a POW.it takes months to make and burns like

hell when you drink it,Its the original firewater and extremely

potent, my brother once tested it and its well over 100 proof we

were only kids at the time 12-14 etc, we were all caught when a

mate fed a girlfriend of his 1/2 a pint of it and it nearly killed her

she ended up in hospital for over a week and we got a right rollicking

at the magistrates in durham 4 of us got a £25 quid fine each which

took us years to pay off 1969 :lol: couldve bought a house cheaper.

:lol: The coppers that arrested us nicked about fourty bottles and the menu :good:

seriously strong stuff and seriuosly bad hangovers on a cup full :good::lol:

Lets get the myths out of the way first.

1 - You are using wine yeast which will bottom out at @ 15-18 %(therefore it`s just strong wine)

2 - If you use bread yeast, it is for making BREAD and as such unsuitable to making too much alcohol and will make low %

2 - If you use too much sugar you will de-hydrate the yeast and it will rot :good:

3 - You are letting un-filtered vegetable pulp drain into the demi and this will lead to off flavours not to mention when you started that you will be introducing wild strains of yeast in at the start.

4 - If you want any kind of alcohol above 18-20% you really need to distill the alcohol produced by normal fermentation and that is a whole different ball game with even bigger issues.

Non starter IMHO. Just chop it into chunks and make marrow wine(?) the normal way.

I tried this years ago, the first one was disgusting.

The second one I had hanging from a garage door frame in a string shopping bag. I walked around it one day but slightly caught the net. It exploded all over me. Despite numerous showers I stunk for ages.

Never again. I stick to the more tradional fruit and veg wine recipies now.