feed effects

darren m

Im no expert but have been told the following by a trainer I know who works with BASC and a relative who is a vet.

They both told me to avoid food which is not a "natural" colour ie red, green etc. Apparently the colours are like sugar or e-numbers in kids.

They also told me to avoid food with large percentages of cereals and vegetable matter. The trainer told me that he has had more dogs with hyperactive and aggresive tendancies on one particular brand of food than any other.

I have a work collegue who used to be a chemist for one of the top end dog foods. The bulker they use for that one is the waste from the manufacture of chocolate bars. On their advice I took my Cocker off Beta Puppy and onto BARF. He certainly seems calmer now but thats probably just an age thing.

The way I think about it is a dog is basically a Wolf. I aint ever seen Wolf eating cereals or waste from a chocolate factory. I have seen Wolfs eating meat and bones however.

No doubt someone will be on here soon saying the opposite so who knows.

Edited by fortune82

if you have you dog/dogs on a good balanced food you will know when something is not right. try giving one of them a handful of bakers or pedigree and than you will have your answer, bakers is a real eye opener but pedigree is just as bad.lmao.

some may also notice that their dog /dogs will eat a sack of food with not problems then the next sack they may have a feed or two from and then turn their nose up at it. they haven't gone off the food as such but the new sack has a different make up of meat. i was told a while ago not to feed a dog were the sack sells it as a % of meat. look for food with % of one meat, like 'minimum of 30% chicken' reason is they might only get 10ton of beef and 3 ton of chicken on one delivery and then the next might be 5ton of pork, 3 of beef and 5 of chicken/turkey. so they still have 13 ton of meat but its different meats.

this i was told by two different dog food manufacturers.

I had a young GSD on a complete meal that contained 26% animal protein. He was quite a handful and I consulted a veterinary nutritionalist to ask whethe reducing his protein would be helpful. She suggested coming down to 22% and around ten days after changing his diet there was a sudden and noticible change in his behaviour. He was still more than capable of doing his job and just as keen, but was a lot more managable. On his retirement I dropped his animal protein down to 18%. I took on another young GSD who was the exact opposite of Jet in virtually every way. Jaf had been fed on a low protein diet up to my getting him at 11 months old. I swapped him over to Eukanuba 26% animal protein kibble and it definitely improved his drive.

It is definitely worth considering what you feed if you have problems.

not chaged foods just new bags of the same stuff:-

skinners maintenance and raw tripe ( pet shop freeze dried ) twice a day

and couple of ( pet shop ) hide chews a day

i notice in the skinners feed the 1st main ingriedient is wheat/cereal and the protein content is 19% , basically a cheap food at £15 per 15kg sack.

it seems to suit the digestion ok though :yes:

it seems like she as gone up a gear , but also gone off a gear as well like shes lost the plot sometimes.

if she was any where near a season i,d blame that :good: .

i did have a problem with the skinners maintenance 23 but it was more the dog went off it. i changed to the muesli mix and all is good again and has been for a fair while. i have the newer pup on skinners puppy and the older on keeps getting his head into that as well so im adding a handful into the muesli just because its coming t the start of season and i want the weight on the one for winter so the extra protein and oil will help, i hope.

I had a problem with Eukanuba, my dogs stool was like water all the time so i got my money back for the over priced rubbish, same with the science plan junk. since speaking to a few people i have been happy with the skinners. the cockers work rate is very high and the food is working out for him so i'll stick with it.

i did have one problem with some hide chews i bought , turned out they had a reddish colouring and flavour added to them, the older dog did go stupid in the head after a couple of them so i binned them.

Phil.