Set Trigger

deadeye ive

I haven't even changed the pressure setting on my Tikka trigger.

It shot so beautifully out of the box that I though, if it aint broke, dont fix it :lol:

I don't know about you but it takes me a couple of hours on the Short Siberia just to sight it in decently. Once I've got it right, I cosset it like a baby.

I'm going to need to re-mount the scope soon but meanwhile, its sleeping dogs. :rolleyes:

There isn't much adjustment in a Tikka trigger, I like a realy light trigger and backed mine off as much as it would go, the grub screw hits and allen screw head which prevents it from going any further - at that point it is 2lb's, which is fine for me.

I have a set trigger on my 527 and use it occasionally, but I would never use it in the field.

Ive,

I would drop GMK a line and see if they can get you one, I would hold your breath though, those boys don't give much away :rolleyes:

Thanks for the input Lads

I'm having a few issues with my gun at the moment since having a T8 fitted .I seem to be trying to do everything in one go like shooting at 200yds which I managed to do for the first time last week.

Stuart

I too have turned the adjustment screw anti-clockwise but can't remember a grub screw which will act as a backstop so to speak...........Which leads me to my next question How do you measure Trigger poundage ?

Nildes

If I was shooting prone or resting on a vehicle bonnet I would be happy with the pull but as I am sometimes shooting from a harris s25c on full extensions(27") things can wobble about a bit :rolleyes:

The breathing and concentration are immense and a 2.5N trigger pull has its appeal in this situation.

Ive

You will have trouble getting a jewell trigger for anything but a remington these days. Personally i wouldnt waste the money on a set trigger, they will charge an arm and a leg for it and a good crisp 2lb trigger is fine on any gun. Set triggers are a throwback to olden days in my opinion. Try one on someone elses gun before you buy one, i doubt it will make you shoot any better and if you think safety catches are noisy, try setting a trigger with a fox 50 yards away, it will hear it CLICK.

you either love it or you hate it.

i use both, and find both very useable.

for bench use i much preffer a good solid single stage trigger, but for unrested positions i find the set trigger allows a much easier shot.

as yet i have no found the set triggers to be anyworse for mr fox than a safety, the odd fox i have taken at sub50 yards with centerfires has not seen me until it has the cross hairs firmly planted on his chin. on one ocassion a fox was very close he did hear the safety being removed (sako 75) but it was too late for him to do much.

i do agree though, set triggers are a plesant memory of the past, they have their purposes, but as a general trigger arnt quite as good as a single stage normaly trigger

intrestingly they are much more popular with the yanks than us.

Stuart

I too have turned the adjustment screw anti-clockwise but can't remember a grub  screw which will act as a backstop so to speak...........Which leads me to my next question How do you measure Trigger poundage ?

Ive,

The screw you adjust will eventually item 1 in the picture(if you are undoing it, anti-clockwise in other words) hit another allen screw that goes vertically to hold the trigger mech in.

Have a look at the picture, hopefully that will explain.

Measure trigger pressure with fishing scale, but do it with the action out of the rifle, so ypu can get a nice square pull on the trigger and therefore an accurate (ish) reading.

Unless you have been very unlucky, the trigger should adjust down nicely, these are quality rifles don't forget not like Remingtons :rolleyes:

Image1.jpg

Edited by stuartp

Ready for true story?

Ok, here we go...

My mate shots a 695 with a std trigger, unadjusted.

He let a wealthy shooter of a 'hand made in London' type rifle try his gun at his local gun club.

The guy was so impressed/p*ssed off* (*delete as appropriate) that he sent his rifle back to the shop to ask if the trigger could be improved, and told them the story.

They said it could, and they sent the rifle back to him with a better trigger and an appropriately huge bill :rolleyes::lol: Apparently it is OK now.

To put this into perspective, the bill for the trigger job was more than the cost of 695!

And some people still slate Tikka's, 'makes me laugh it does'

Edited by stuartp

The screw you adjust will eventually item 1 in the picture(if you are undoing it, anti-clockwise in other words) hit another allen screw that goes vertically to hold the trigger mech in.

Stuart

Ironically your picture is the one of the set trigger(item 2) and not the standard but they are very similar. :lol:

Had the action out of the stock and yes you are correct ............1 and 1/2 turns later I hit this screw ..........can't tell if the trigger pull is lighter though at the moment . :rolleyes:

I think I have been spoilt by the pull on my FAC Air gun :lol: .........Must be several ounces me thinks

Many thanks

Ive :lol: