Recoil - different guns

Bobba

I have a Miroku Mk 60 20 bore which weighs in at just over 6 pounds. For me it is a great lightweight gun and the recoil is very acceptable with Lyal Vale 28grm No 6's.

I had the opportunity of a second gun - a Bettinsoli Silver Line 20 bore which weighs in at just over 7 pounds.

With the same cartridge the Bettinsoli recoil is significantly greater than the Miroku. Quite a thump in fact. Why is this?

Is there a simple explanation? For example, if someone threw at you a 4 pound brick at 30 mph and then a 6 pound brick, the 6 pound brick would hurt more because of the weight. Is this the underlying explanatione here i.e. The weight of the guns?

Advice welcomed. Thank you.

Bob

It could be to do with gunfit. There are 2 things to consider, recoil, ie how much recoil energy a gun produces for a given cartridge adn percieved recoil. How noticeable that recoil is due to gun-fit, mount style recoil reducing pads etc.

Forcing cones and chokes can also affect recoil.

Edited by pigglet

The recoil equation has shot weight : velocity etc divided by gun weight .. so heavier gun = less FREE recoil. Its Newton who says so.

BUT felt / perceived recoil is down to the individual and gun design, fit, balance can deliver the same kick differently.

Some say a gun kicks less when you shoot a cracking pheasant than when you fire at a pattern plate.Also a quieter cartridge seems softer than a loud one!

It may be fit rather than Newton?

Edited by seeker

Hi Bob

I think you will find that the heavier the gun the less felt recoil, in theory at least.

But as to why you felt more recoil with the bettinsoli compared to the miroku must be down to the individual guns make up, not the weight factor.

I have 2 beretta's one is a sporter and one is a game gun, both are 687s and there is more felt recoil with the lighter game gun using the same cartridges.

Hope this Helps. :good: