First ever shoot

n9luke

hi all,

im new to pidgeon watch, been introduced to pidgeon shooting by a mate who has always been into it, didnt know what to expect but had a great first day, set up a hide on a tree line with some decoys and a bird magnet spinning away on some rape stubble, shot from around 9.30 until 3 in the afternoon, I used my mates 20 bore, shot around 70 cartridges for 25 birds, probably not the best shooting ever but surprised myself with some pretty good shots and was very happy with my haul at the end of the day, thoroughly enjoyed it and cant wait to go again :angry:

post-24619-1283532508.jpg

well done bud took a mate out today for his first time ever with a shotgun today did three hours over some barley stubble he had 10

gave him a good recipe for pigeon and apple burgers

no stopping him now

good luck for future shoots and well done :good:

Pigeon and apple burgers sound good!!! :yes: care to share the recpe with us???

cheers

Pigeon and apple burgers sound good!!! :yes: care to share the recpe with us???

cheers

here you lad have a go there very nice

Ingredients : 8 Pigeon Breasts, 1 Large Cox’s Apple, 1 Medium Red Onion, 2 Slices of Wholemeal Bread, 2 Teaspoons of dried mixed herbs or Italian mixed Herbs. (makes 8 burgers)

Method : Mince Pigeon Breasts , I find leaving them overnight in the fridge makes them easier to mince ( not sure why ! ). Place minced pigeon in the mixing bowl, chop the apple finely – I use one of them plastic vegetable choppers, or grating would do just as well. Crumble up the 2 slices of wholemeal bread – this is easier if the bread’s been dried a bit – a minute or two under a medium grill will help, mix in the bowl by hand with the apple and a finely chopped red onion , also adding in the 2 teaspoons of mixed herbs. When well mixed, form into balls in the hand a bit bigger than a golf ball , line a baking tray with kitchen foil and form the balls of mix into a burger shape. I now use one of the cheap plastic burger shapers which has a flat bit that you use to press the meat into the mold ( dipping it in cold water before putting the mix into it helps to stop it sticking. Once I’ve used all the mix – usually about 8 quarter pound burgers, I place another piece of foil over the top of the baking tray and press gently down around the burgers to help reduce moisture loss , then place in the freezer. Once frozen overnight, I transfer them to a freezer bag, sealed tight to prevent water loss and freezer `burn’, label & date them. I find they freeze and keep quite well, I shallow fry them from frozen over a medium heat with a little olive or sunflower oil . Very nice in a crusty roll with cheese and tomato relish.