Foxing Tips wanted

ellebarto

I've never really setup for foxes. I've chanced upon them and been out with a friend looking for them but I have no real experience.

A local land owner has approached me to deal with a fox problem he has and if I do it right and do it well it could lead to some more permissions, which are like gold dust in this area. So , I dont want to rock up looking clueless and I want to be safe and do the job right. So within reasonable boundaries, I want to blag my experience to the land owner so he wants me to do the job, learn about the skill while doing the job and then acquire more permissions.

This is the basic story, its initially a 10 to 20 acre piece of land. Generally speaking to the front aspect there are hundreds more acres of primarily grass land that I'm looking for permission on, to the left there is a bridle path to the right there is a road. Both would be in range of a stray rifle shot if I didnt have a solid back drop (450-700 yards). I dont believe the land has actually be signed off for rifles anyway but I will be looking into that with a view to future shooting if not the imminent fox problem.

The land has horses, Lama's, bunnies and did have chickens until Mr fox got hungry. There is a copse of trees in the centre where I've tracked various runs and paths too, so I'm fairly sure of where they are and where they are going at night.

The landowner has told me to just shoot my rifle and get the job done but I dont have an open licence and I only shoot .17 and .22 at the moment. Strictly speaking both can do the job but are not licensed to do so in GMP. So my plan is to bait an area between the trees and the chicken coup, maybe drag a few bunnies behind me for a night or two from the trees to an area infront of the coup, where I will leave the bunnies for the fox then after a night or two lay up by the 'feeding' area with a 12g and some SG shells or triple A perhaps.

A fellow shooter has suggested that as long as I'm accurate and use a high velocity cartridge, my .22 is more than adequate and would be so quiet as to not draw any attention to the fact I'm using it, even though I shouldnt be. Basically, he is saying risk it because the risk is so small.

Can any of you experienced fox hunters pick holes in these tactics or offer me any advice? It sounds simple and Im aware that popping a fox with a 12g is likely to be tricky but given the scenario, I think its my best and possibly only option.

Thanks in advance.

If I was in your position I would set some snares,sounds like you have Sussed the runs,waiting with a shotgun is sound however it could be a long wait and conditions need to be right for Charlie not to smell/hear/spot you.a free meal may often arouse more suspicion in the fox than an opportunity.

I've never really setup for foxes. I've chanced upon them and been out with a friend looking for them but I have no real experience.

A local land owner has approached me to deal with a fox problem he has and if I do it right and do it well it could lead to some more permissions, which are like gold dust in this area. So , I dont want to rock up looking clueless and I want to be safe and do the job right. So within reasonable boundaries, I want to blag my experience to the land owner so he wants me to do the job, learn about the skill while doing the job and then acquire more permissions.

This is the basic story, its initially a 10 to 20 acre piece of land. Generally speaking to the front aspect there are hundreds more acres of primarily grass land that I'm looking for permission on, to the left there is a bridle path to the right there is a road. Both would be in range of a stray rifle shot if I didnt have a solid back drop (450-700 yards). I dont believe the land has actually be signed off for rifles anyway but I will be looking into that with a view to future shooting if not the imminent fox problem.

The land has horses, Lama's, bunnies and did have chickens until Mr fox got hungry. There is a copse of trees in the centre where I've tracked various runs and paths too, so I'm fairly sure of where they are and where they are going at night.

The landowner has told me to just shoot my rifle and get the job done but I dont have an open licence and I only shoot .17 and .22 at the moment. Strictly speaking both can do the job but are not licensed to do so in GMP. So my plan is to bait an area between the trees and the chicken coup, maybe drag a few bunnies behind me for a night or two from the trees to an area infront of the coup, where I will leave the bunnies for the fox then after a night or two lay up by the 'feeding' area with a 12g and some SG shells or triple A perhaps.

A fellow shooter has suggested that as long as I'm accurate and use a high velocity cartridge, my .22 is more than adequate and would be so quiet as to not draw any attention to the fact I'm using it, even though I shouldnt be. Basically, he is saying risk it because the risk is so small.

Can any of you experienced fox hunters pick holes in these tactics or offer me any advice? It sounds simple and Im aware that popping a fox with a 12g is likely to be tricky but given the scenario, I think its my best and possibly only option.

Thanks in advance.

Why not just take a shooter who has an open ticket.

ever tried sitting and waiting for a fox to come into range with a 12g...?!?!? :good:

ive shot quite a few foxes with rimfire, it does do the job if shot placement is right..body shots dont do the job..head shot only! if you go shooting away with 12g and miss then your "blagged experience" goes out the window. a subsonic load will allow you to take a shot unnoticed. If your baiting like you say then you can even determine your shot range. 50yrds is far enough for fox not to detect you as easy but close enough for a decent shot. The only thing that i dont agree with is the statement you made about backstop...you should ALWAYS know where your shot is going and ensure a backstop is present for a SAFE shot!!! :good: :good:

ATB!

ever tried sitting and waiting for a fox to come into range with a 12g...?!?!? :good:

ive shot quite a few foxes with rimfire, it does do the job if shot placement is right..body shots dont do the job..head shot only! if you go shooting away with 12g and miss then your "blagged experience" goes out the window. a subsonic load will allow you to take a shot unnoticed. If your baiting like you say then you can even determine your shot range. 50yrds is far enough for fox not to detect you as easy but close enough for a decent shot. The only thing that i dont agree with is the statement you made about backstop...you should ALWAYS know where your shot is going and ensure a backstop is present for a SAFE shot!!! :good: :good:

ATB!

All good advice. Never tried to shoot a fox with a 12g and I'm not expecting it to be easy. Thats part of the reason for bouncing it off you guys! Perhaps I didnt realise just how hard it might be!

When you say you dont agree with my comment about a back stop you might have missed the point. I'm saying its unlikely I could shoot a rifle because there arent good back stops which as you say I would need to ever take any shot!

I do have the option of taking an experienced shooter, which I may well have to do having heard from you guys but sometimes you just want to do these things yourselves. I'm pretty experienced and capable. Just need some hints and tips I guess.

Edited by ellebarto

only problem with a 12g, unless you have a super duper 4" chamber wit a big load then you'll ideally have to wait for the fox to come in to 25-30yrds..not impossible by any means but less likely.

sorry, ,after reading again i see what you meant :good: !

Are there any trees nearby the tracks you are looking to bait charlie? i managed to climb one and sit it out until he came close enough for a shot with rimmy..this method would solve your backstop problem the same time. any type of elevation will help..even the roof of a 4x4!? :good:

only problem with a 12g, unless you have a super duper 4" chamber wit a big load then you'll ideally have to wait for the fox to come in to 25-30yrds..not impossible by any means but less likely.

sorry, ,after reading again i see what you meant :good: !

Are there any trees nearby the tracks you are looking to bait charlie? i managed to climb one and sit it out until he came close enough for a shot with rimmy..this method would solve your backstop problem the same time. any type of elevation will help..even the roof of a 4x4!? :good:

I hadn't thought of getting some elevation but that might work. I'll have a think about that! Cheers