Shell decoys

s.stimson

Guest flightline

Cranfield,

I`ll happily do that-though give me a few days to get his details together. For the avoidance of doubt (not you Cranners but people who come later to this thread) I can`t of course be involved in any way other than passing on his details.

I've only started using shells recently having dragged full bodied "flexicoys" around for years, have to say that the results have been very impressive so far, I can carry a larger number in a smaller space (less weight) and put out a bigger pattern. I've made up some pegs with springs in them so that they bob about in even a light wind, get a bit frantic when the breeze gets up a bit but it's amazing how much better they seem to pull the pigeons in when moving a bit.

Had them settle in amongst the deeks and I'm sure that if it wouldn't make them overbalance they'd scratch their heads with one foot wondering why the pigeons they'd just pitched in to have a chat with were ignoring them. Usually too late by then cos they have been on the receiving end of an ounce of number 7 shot. :ph34r:

Do any of you chaps not use dead birds out of the freezer?

20 dead birds are woth 50 plastic coys ( I think anyway)

All the best

Buzzer            :)

On Saturday I set out 12 shells on spring sticks and the rotor. Birds came straight in and even settled in the pattern.

I usually leave the shells out and bring in dead birds but a mate of mine said try replacing the shells with real ones.

Once I had shot a dozen birds, I pulled in the shells and put the real birds in their place so maintaining the same pattern. Birds flighted in well but spooked as they got closer in. This went on for a while without change. Pulled the dead birds in and put the shells back and birds immediately started to come straight into the pattern.

An old hand once told me never mix dead birds and deeks together and I never have during my 15 years shooting pigeons. I tend to pick up once there are three or four dead birds down to keep the pattern 'tidy'. If a shot bird drops in the pattern belly up I will recover it immediately. Each to their own but I will stick with my shells. :P

Something else happened on Saturday that I have never seen before. I had my lofting pole up protruding above a high gorse bush/tree, it's the type with a 3' crossbar with two flexicoy deeks. I heard a flutter in the tree and noticed a pigeon had landed on the crossbar between the two flexicoys! It stayed for a few minutes before flying off. Most realistic those flexicoys. :unsure:

Guest flightline

Tony,

My experience on Sunday is the direct opposite of yours! I started with 25 shells and took 2 in for each bird I shot. It was noticeable how much more confidently birds came in to the mixed plastic/natural then completely dead pigeon pattern. But I always try to make them appear as lifelike as possible. Follwing an earlier tip here, I use kebab sticks to prop the heads up and sometimes pin the wings open.

I only ever use naturals on the magnet and floaters.

Flightline,

Maybe I should try a mix. I too tried to give the dead birds more 'life' with neck props made from coat hangers. The only obvious difference between the two layouts was the dead birds were invisible from the hide whereas the shells stood clear of the rape. Maybe the shells were more visible to flighting birds. Although I would have thought the rotor would have won the attraction stakes.

Maybe I should buy some of Trev's dead bird cradles. :unsure:

Guest flightline

Tony,

How high is your rape (Mrs!!!)? I was on drillings and birds stand out a mile. Deeks can be much more difficult to see on rape, though may be for you they stood out better than dead birds will. Yes, cradles would be a good idea. What about floaters? Do you use them? :unsure:

Flightline,

The lowest of our rape is around 8"-10". When I put the dead puts out, I placed them in spaces between the plants so they were more visible from above. I would have required cradles to get them above the rape.

I have a couple of Pinewood floaters that I used all the time before getting the rotor. I don't use them so much these days. Sometimes if I need to try and steer birds from a flightline that I can't shoot from, such as close to a path or road, I will put the floaters out but that's not often.

What I do use is a lander. In case you are not familiar with them, they are a bit like a short floater but in addition to the wing clips it has tail clips. This enables you to fan the tail feather to simulate a landing bird. I place this inside the horseshoe towards the front at 45 degrees about 1' - 2' off the deck depending on the crop. They add a little something to the pattern although these days there are electronic flapping versions which are probably better. You can see a lander at - http://home.clara.net/tmbdesigns/decoying2.htm , I also have their lofters and my mate has their hide poles which are very robust I might add. :unsure: