Rape Growth & Feeding

ellebarto

I've got a 70 30 mix of stubble and rape on my permission now. I can only get on to the land after lunch each day and I know from experience it goes quiet at lunch so as a reccy its never the best. Anyway been out to take a look today and theres a dozen small groups of woodies and crows, mostly on the stubble. The rape was sown about 2 to 3 weeks ago and is 1 to 3 inches high.

At what stage of growth do the woodies start to take a proper interest in this rape growth? I thought it would be teeming by now!

I've got a 70 30 mix of stubble and rape on my permission now. I can only get on to the land after lunch each day and I know from experience it goes quiet at lunch so as a reccy its never the best. Anyway been out to take a look today and theres a dozen small groups of woodies and crows, mostly on the stubble. The rape was sown about 2 to 3 weeks ago and is 1 to 3 inches high.

At what stage of growth do the woodies start to take a proper interest in this rape growth? I thought it would be teeming by now!

woodys will be feeding on stubbles mainly still i think and sown wheat &barley

they will be hitting acorns too

it will be a while till they hit the new growing green stuff (not in my area anyway!)

Yes, TJ is spot on, in areas where there are plenty of Oak trees, (and Beech trees), the Woodies will often stay off the rape until they've scoffed all acorns and beech mast.

This can be well into the New Year, all depends on how many acorns are about. ???

Cat.

we have had a bumper year with the acorns so i am going out as soon as i get new airrifle to sit in the parklands and try bag a few!

they were on acorns till middle of december last year, then hit the rape.

I work in an office so I'm usually suited and booted but when I went out for a mooch on my permission at lunchtime there were shed loads of maggys, big crows and pigeons just sitting around. Its almost like they new I wasn't tooled up and they just sat there!!

I wonder how safe, realistic it would be to stick my .22 rifle in the boot and do a half hour while I'm mooching! I'm not sure of the law when it comes to storing a rifle in a car. Its a secure work carpark but even so.

When it comes to shot guns I've always be told if you leave it in your car to break it and take the forend but thats probably an urban myth!

In a similar fashion I could take out the bolt!

If you did that around our way, you'd get drilled by the Armed Response Team. :good:

Cat.

not a public park ???

the grass fields in front of the big hall (mansion!) are called parklands, well thats what they are called on most of the older estates around here and thats what the owner refers to them as... ???

Had 50 on rape last week and had a client shoot 83 on rape yesterday and yes they were on the the rape a few of the birds were full of it this rape has been in for 3 weeks and is coming on strong . I normally dont find them on the rape till mid november but times change :good:

Yes same thing here, some good numbers on first growth rape. Tom, times do change but pigeons have always been opportunistic and that's the best way to catch up with them...opportunistically! ???