whistle

darren m

which whistle do you use and why ??

being thinking about changing whistle as i,m getting sick of this sudden selective hearing :hmm: i,m getting from my ess.

i currently use the 210.5 for my springer , is there a better option ie 211 , 212 , etc or silent whistle .

is there any proof that the 210.5 suits the springer spaniel better than other types.

also is there any excuse for a dog not hearing a whistle ie. certain types or distance ( what sort of range ).

thanks

being thinking about changing whistle as i,m getting sick of this sudden selective hearing :hmm: i,m getting from my ess.

Changing the whistle will not stop the selective hearing!

The dog is choosing to ignore your command and you need to address that!

Go back to basics on teaching the stop whistle to remind her of what she is expected to do when you blow the stop whistle!

Cheers

Stick to what you are using and put the manners into the dog.

Also try to remember that a dog in heavy cover is possibly not hearing you.

I remember watching a training video years ago where they put a microphone on the dogs collar and run it through maize, the noise was incredible.

If you want to use the dog for flushing then always call it back to heel when it goes 20 or so yards, sooner or later the dog will get used to going so far and turning back to find you.

you have let your dog get away with it and now thinks he can do as like. its not the whistle, its the dog. as said, get back to short range basics, if dog doesn't listen then go get it and take it back to where it should be and blow whistle.

My cocker shut down for a bit and i had to go back to start again, he is back to where he should be but it took a week or so of putting him right. im back at it again tomorrow as he shut down towards the end of the day today but it was after 40 retrieves so i cant grumble to much, just give him a couple of days at it again just so it doesn't slip into habits.

With my new pup im going over to the silent whistle as i like the idea of people not knowing when the dogs playing up.lol.

ATB

Phil.

Changing your whistle, as said, will make no difference to the dog's behaviour. However, a pitch different from mainstream whistles can be helpful on a shoot day when everyone sounds the same.

We have one guy on the shoot who uses the 210 with a pea, it's the only one on the shoot. His dog doesn't listen to it either but at least we know which dog to look out for! :good:

Changing your whistle, as said, will make no difference to the dog's behaviour. However, a pitch different from mainstream whistles can be helpful on a shoot day when everyone sounds the same.

We have one guy on the shoot who uses the 210 with a pea, it's the only one on the shoot. His dog doesn't listen to it either but at least we know which dog to look out for! :good:

thats what i was wondering ,if i,m standing with 1/2 doz other beaters all dressed similar all useing the same whistle she gets confused -- today for example out beating i saw my dog latch onto someone elses whistle after a drive , she turned round like she should to look for me couldnt see me because i was just behind 2 guys in front then carried on , i was just about to pip her myself anyway , so i stepped out into the field so she could see me