Browning gun identification

Boristhedog

Using previous topics in the ‘Guns and Equipment’ section of PW and the link to Browning’s ‘date your firearm’ website I think I’ve managed to understand that the serial number L13PR***** on my gun indicates it’s a Citori 802 ES made in 1987.

If it’s of interest the 802 refers to the gun being available with 28, 30 and 32 inch barrels and the ES stands for Easy Swing. Mine has 28 inch.

However, I seem to have hit the buffers as I understand that Citori guns were made in Japan whereas mine has ‘Made in Belgium - Fabrique Nationale Herstal’ stamped on the barrel.

Just to add to my confusion the gun also has stamped in tiny letters on the action, where the metal curves under the wood just above the trigger (I hope that makes sense) J PIROTTE.

I’ve found a link to PIROTTE, Jacques & Fils in Liege, Belgium.

http://www.littlegun.be/arme%20belge/artis...irotte%20gb.htm

Why would a Browning have such detail on it?

I’d be really grateful if any of you could throw any light on this and the made in Japan/Belgium issue for me.

Thanks.

Wow that's alot of info, I am no browning expert I cant even figure out what model mine is... (apart from it being a 525!) the new serial numbers dont give as much info. I thought all of the Citori and 325/425/525 (Citori US designation for 325/425/525? now 625?) were Japanese made, perhaps Pirotte deisnged the engraving for tha mass produced ones? Or it was made in japan engraved in belgium? The date your browning site seems to be more for the US market than european browning UK details arent easy to find but they will be out there somewhere.

EDIT: YOur signature mentions a B26, assume that's not the Citori?

Edited by HDAV

Wow that's alot of info, I am no browning expert I cant even figure out what model mine is... (apart from it being a 525!) the new serial numbers dont give as much info. I thought all of the Citori and 325/425/525 (Citori US designation for 325/425/525? now 625?) were Japanese made, perhaps Pirotte deisnged the engraving for tha mass produced ones? Or it was made in japan engraved in belgium? The date your browning site seems to be more for the US market than european browning UK details arent easy to find but they will be out there somewhere.

EDIT: YOur signature mentions a B26, assume that's not the Citori?

It's the same gun! I was told it was a B26 but I cannot find any reference to that model, plenty on the B25 and B27 but no B26. The serial number seems to indicate the information given in the OP but I cannot seem to get any further. I've written to Browning but I expect any response will take a while.

Still hoping someone on here might be able to add something.

Borris got any pics? Have seen pics of the 802ES online (but only US) and plenty on the B26 First cataloged in 1980. Called the Grand Liege, it is not a Superposed, but, it was built in Belgium.

http://www.pmulcahy.com/db_sb_shotguns/bel...sb_shotguns.htm

Notes: This gun was designed in 1972 as a simpler, less expensive alternative to the B-25. (The true, real-world cost of the B-25 is very high, beyond the reach of many shooters.) This weapon was introduced with the name of "Liege," and made only for 12 gauge 2.75-inch shells. The Liege uses a box lock and has a single trigger, with no provision for barrel selection. In 1978, the production of the Liege switched over to the new B-26 model (known as the B-27 in the US, for reasons unknown). The B-26 was split into two other versions in 1979 – the B-26 Mk I (the trap and skeet version) and the B-26 Mk II Chasse (for hunting). These two guns have 3-inch chambers, with the Mk I using a 30-inch barrel and the Mk II using a 28-inch barrel. They have ventilated sighting ribs on top of the barrels, with clip-on wider ribs for use if desired. There are also several subtypes of these two guns: Mk II Chasse Luxe, Mk II Skeet, Mk II Trap, and several luxury versions, but the only one of note for game purposes is the B-26 Mk II Super Skeet. This version has an anatomical pistol grip stock, an adjustable butt plate with a rubber recoil pad and a shoulder rest; its barrel is 28 inches long. Production of the B-26 series stopped in 1980.

Don't think the gun can be a B-26 and an 802ES

http://www.browning.com/customerservice/da...etail.asp?id=32 should hep

L13=12 ga. 2 3/4" 802 ES Sporter

BTW where do you shoot (I'm in cardiff)

• 1 year later...

Sorry to raise this OLD thread,

I have my B25 B5.3 action (Pointers engraved by J Pirotte) as a backdrop and just on a whim Googled him/her. In short he/she was the engraver of just that aspect of the whole engraving. Others would have worked the scroll, acorns and or leaves etc.

PS. You will get nowt out of Browning. Although I own ££££ of their guns they are most unhelpful with such info.

Edited by B25Modelman

Wasn't the B27 also a Belgian browning? Is it budget belgian or is it from the custom shop which is in Belgium?

How about a Midas? Diana? Superposed?

Put up a pic

I believe it was their attempt to replace for the 'too expensive to produce' B25 model, but I am not sure where it was manufactured.

All B25 models now come under the Custom range starting at the B2G as the lowest :hmm: specification.

My BIGGEST regret (I have 2) throwing away all the Browning catalogues from the early 90's which listed all the grades with pictures. Second regret....trading in an unused totally MINT boxed B25 A1 30" Special Sporting 1/2/full :angry: I located one back in the 80's with a German gun dealer and imported it :blush:

Edited by B25Modelman