simulated flush

darren m

lads i need some ideas tips or tricks on how to set up a simulated flush ie bird or rabbit ( cold game ) to practice my stop to flush exercise

at the mo i cant afford a visit to a rabbit pen or trainer :good: , my bitch ess is coming along ok , its just this vital last bit of the real thing .

one to one rough shooting (not masses of birds or other dogs) shes ok . i,m wanting use her for beating but shes not 100 % to flush as yet in a beating situation , she's 2yr next week and needs the experience now

shes well trained :lol: , but as a gun dog ( ie the DVDs ) not so much as a beating dog :P ie to walk up game cover etc along with 1/2 doz other dogs all darting about the excitemant is sometimes too much

so i want to try and simulate some single flushes for her and hopefully get her to sit to flush :good:

thanks lads - bungie cord idea sounds good , guessing it would work with 2 people better

i will also tighten up my sit to shot routine , although when a shot is fired it does take her attention away from the flush itself

i,ve thrown the dummy and blown stop whistle but always when shes out hunting , so i can get between her and the dummy , but i will try it close up :good: . shes mad for tennis balls ( too mad ) so that will be a big temptation for her and right at her feet ;)

any more ideas or varients welcomed

cheers :yes:

Get it out on a training tracking leash were there are birds knocking about in the open (with landowners consent obviously), when the dog flushes one blow the stop and give a yank if it don't sit imediate. Repeate the exersize time and again. Have also heard of using dizzied pigeons but never tried it as is just too easy for me to take a walk about and i am surounded by game birds here