WHSmiths

bindi

WHS in Wakefield stocks a good range as does the one at the white Rose centre in Leeds.

ASDA doesn't stock any because there isn't the demand apparently. Maybe everyone should contact their local ASDA and ask for shooting magazines to be stocked. As a matter of interest, everyone wants Landrover Owner International. They must do cos it's stocked. As are fishing magazines and horsey ones that everyone reeeeeely wants.

Tesco stock Shooting Times.

Dave

Tesco at Barnsley don't!!

who makes the decisions??

Hi,

The cattle market has now closed. :D The 2 secondarys are now Sheldon :D and Hardenhuish. :lol: (I'm at Sheldon :D ) My Dad has just informed me he went to the boys school then went up to the Grammar school. :lol:

FM :D

P.S Westinghouse brakes is still here. :devil: Somethings never change. :lol:

I probably went to Sheldon then. Left in '65 :lol:

There used to be a culvert in the field below Sheldon school where the stream went under the road. Used to hide a .177 there and pick it up after school and head off over the fields towards Allington/Kington St Michael and see if we could pop a few Pigeons or Rabbits. We set snares in a wood up by the Golf Course too.

Walking home with a broke but not charged air rifle down your trouser leg and a couple of bunnies in your satchel is difficult. Had to have one hand in your trouser pocket to hold the darn rifle in place :)

What with doing that and trying to look innocent, I must've looked pretty odd.

Dad never asked too much about the Rabbits though, we were glad to eat them, better than bread and scrape. Nor did he tell me off for going down the cattle market, he used to do it when he was a kid. He was ok about that, wooding and scrumping but gave me the thrashing of a lifetime for shoplifting some sweets from Langleys :D

I learned there was a line you didn't step over. You could take from nature or what was going to waste but not from someone else!

Is there still a shoot at Avon? Featherstone-Godley had a boy I think? I wonder if he took it on?

When we went beating, we used to meet up early in the dark by St Andrews church and cycle up Maude Heaths path and Causeway even when it was flooded to get there.

Nice to hear you're still at school and finding ways to enjoy the countryside. I'm in my fifties now but I'll tell you, once hunting, shooting & fishing's in your blood, its there for life :)

Hi,

Sounds like you went to Sheldon. Harden was up the hill further away from what is now called the brook. There is still fields down by the stream (we run the cross country through them and over the brook in the woodland. :devil: ) Who was the farmer at Allington back then? There is a bypass up there now between Sheldon and Allington as well as Chippenham rugby club. I willl try and find out about the shoot.

I know the farmer at Allington has a small Pheasant shoot up there and Lord Methuen (owner of Corsham Court) has a large one stretching across Corsham and the country part of Chippenham.

FM :D

Hi,

Sounds like you went to Sheldon. Harden was up the hill further away from what is now called the brook. There is still fields down by the stream (we run the cross country through them and over the brook in the woodland. :lol: ) Who was the farmer at Allington back then? There is a bypass up there now between Sheldon and Allington as well as Chippenham rugby club. I willl try and find out about the shoot.

I know the farmer at Allington has a small Pheasant shoot up there and Lord Methuen (owner of Corsham Court)  has a large one stretching across Corsham and the country part of Chippenham.

FM :)

Yep was always called the brook and those fields either side of the stream from the hamlet down to the football ground were always great for rabbits. There was a line of Elms along the steep bank by the path and dozens of rabbits all along until the mixy came.

My sister kept a pony there for a while and used to hack out to follow the Beaufort.

One day she was hacking back in the dusk and Camilla PB went past with a horsebox, stopped and gave them both a lift home. My Mum won't hear a bad word against her since.

Cross Country? If you weren't good enough for Football or Cricket Team you got sent on CC. Used to stop at the first hedge and share a fag B)

Still a Methuen at Corsham Court? Good, I used to like the old chap.

Played Rugby for Corsham for a while. Strictly a drinking team. We had a record loss of 126-6 :o

Don't remember the farmer's name but it might have been Piggy Reynolds.

We didn't bother with asking permissions for rabbiting and the like ;) no sense in troubling a busy man and a No means that next time he meets you walking the fields, he's going to take a close interest :D

Is there still a shoot at Avon? Featherstone-Godley had a boy I think? I wonder if he took it on?

I shoot up at Spirthill - a couple of miles on from Maude Heaths causeway I've not heard of him but will ask the old chap next door he knows just about everyone this side of the county.

He might remember Major FG, he was a bit of a character with no volume control on his voice and he liked his beaters to be in straight lines like his soldiers. :D

Or he might remember a chap called Brinsdon who lived in the cottages just up the road from the mill and who was his keeper for a while I think :lol:

Hi,

We all do an compulsory 2 weeks of cross country before inter-tutor rugby. (I don't enjoy it when I have a cold and am having an asthma attack.) The first week is a 'practice' and the second is inter-tutor. If you miss out the inter tutor you have to do it the following week (to stop sickies/skiveing) when your tutor group is playing rugby. So if you are good at rugby or at least better than the replacement who would take your place you want run the CC no matter what. At the end of the fields we now have an astroturf near the football ground. This is the only place I have seen Rabbit droppings so I assume they are nocturnal bunnies now. :D

Mr Morgan was the Headteacher when my Dad was there but I believe he took over from the Headteacher that you would of had. :lol:

FM B)

Hi,

We all do an compulsory 2 weeks of cross country before inter-tutor rugby. (I don't enjoy it when I have a cold and am having an asthma attack.) The first week is a 'practice' and the second is inter-tutor. If you miss out the inter tutor you have to do it the following week (to stop sickies/skiveing) when your tutor group is playing rugby. So if you are good at rugby or at least better than the replacement who would take your place you want run the CC no matter what. At the end of the fields we now have an astroturf near the football ground. This is the only place I have seen Rabbit droppings so I assume they are nocturnal bunnies now. :D

Mr Morgan was the Headteacher when my Dad was there but I believe he took over from the Headteacher that you would of had. :lol:

FM B)

Mr Minter was Head when I was there!

He did his best with some pretty poor material. I remember one lad, David Turner went on to play Cricket out county level, but the rest of us either went to the forces, farms or the factories.

I don't remember anyone having ferrets then but I do remember a beautifully chased 410 in the market below the Neeld Hall. It folded completely in half, the perfect poachers gun. But, a thirty bob, completely beyond my reach.

I also used to ogle a five chambered garden gun in the sports shop up past Woolworths on the left. They used to sell fishing licenses and gentles too.

I knew Mr Hanford's nephew and that got me permission to fish from the mill and the weir above the town bridge. I once canoed across that during the great flood.

If there's one thing I miss, its Wiltshire Bacon. It was dry, like you buy Parma ham now. When you put it in the pan, there was no scungy white stuff came out, it didn't shrivel up to half its size nor cover the pan in brown glaze. Just produced enough fat to cook itself and a couple of field mushrooms. Heaven on earth :o

Hi,

I don't think the market would sell a .410 now though. :D

Do you know where Neston is in Corsham? B)

FM :o

Do they still have a market? Its all Bl**dy French here selling overpriced artichokes.

Neston? Yes, over to the left of Copenacre, just beyond Pickwick :lol:

I happen to know Mr. WH Smith himself.....and I can tell you the guy's a fanatical shot and owns one of the nicest shooting estates I've been on. Stuffed with Deer, and a great Pheasant shoot. Talk about irony....but I guess if they are not reactive to the concumer I guess they lose out!!

Hi,

Some things always suprise you! :D He probably likes to keep the fact that he shoots quiet because of antis refusing to shop at smiths. :)

FM :(