How to straighten them

lurcherboy

If its not fully seasoned before you straighten it ie 1 year for hazel 2 for blackthorn (unless you have access to kiln drying or the missus lets you use the airing cupboard for 6 months) the stick will not retain its shape too well. Henry is right if you can give it a bend over the knee from time to time it helps but best to do it after the miosture had left the wood... that way its sets when cool.

Did you go to public school WF :(

No, it was a boys tech school, but they acted like it was a public school. Morter boards cloaks and floggings.

One French teacher ended up in Jail for offences on young boys, English teacher bent as a nine bob note hung himself, at least three others had pretty bad rumours including the woodwork teacher taking boys on special boating holidays. Need I say more.

WF :thumbs:

I know you can use a heat source to straighten a stick but at what stage of storage do you carry this out.

Thanking you in anticipation.

LB

I season freshly cut shanks inside in piping that is bigger then the diameter of the stick if there is a bad bend in it.Takes out a bit of the work when i go working on the stick.

For seasoned shanks that have a slight bend in them i use steam and 3 vices for straightening them.

I place the shank over my steam source and when it becomes a bit pliable i place the shank in three vices i have attached to a table end.

I try to have as much of the part of the shank that i have just straightened in the middle vice as i can

241f51fb.jpg

I try to have as much of the part of the shank that i have just straightened in the middle vice (if it is a very slow developing curve on the shank i move the three vices closer together and concentrate on that and leave the two ends unviced) and place the two ends in the other vices.I leave the shank in the vices overnight to set and when removed you are left with a shank that is as straight as a ruler.

Edited by johnskevena

I know you can use a heat source to straighten a stick but at what stage of storage do you carry this out.

LB

I season freshly cut shanks inside in piping that is bigger then the diameter of the stick if there is a bad bend in it.Takes out a bit of the work when i go working on the stick.

For seasoned shanks that have a slight bend in them i use steam and 3 vices for straightening them.

I place the shank over my steam source and when it becomes a bit pliable i place the shank in three vices i have attached to a table end.

I try to have as much of the part of the shank that i have just straightened in the middle vice as i can

241f51fb.jpg

I try to have as much of the part of the shank that i have just straightened in the middle vice (if it is a very slow developing curve on the shank i move the three vices closer together and concentrate on that and leave the two ends unviced) and place the two ends in the other vices.I leave the shank in the vices overnight to set and when removed you are left with a shank that is as straight as a ruler.

Thanks mate that method is right up my street :(

LB

LB

241f51fb.jpg

Thanks mate that method is right up my street :(

LB

:thumbs: ;)