A morning on the Magpies

shug

Out yesterday with half a loaf and my new AA s400 classic fitted with 3-9x50 Hawke Airmax MAP 6 and a Weihrauch Silencer, legal powered.

Walked a few fields looking for some rabbit action but Mr fox was up before me and all the usual hotspots were empty.

Out with the bread set it up on the top of this small rise at the corner of a field, the farmer had told me there was loads of magpies around this year could i get rid of a few.(what a question lol) Got the first one 15 mins after setting the bread out head shot at 35 yards, set him up as a decoy and boy did those magpies like the look of him. Most were shot from the top of the dead tree at about 35/40 yards out, 5 of the magpies and both crows were all hit in the head, so i ended the morning with 7 magpies, 2 crows and a young woodie, 1 of the crows got stuck in the ivy on the tree. Missed about another dozen as the wind was strong and gusting and my pellets were geting blown all over the place. I'll be back, and to my son who wanted a long lie TOUGH.lol

17102010019.jpg

the tree sits about 35/40 yards, this is my view.

17102010020.jpg

what a day just a pity the wind was so strong

decent cull that on the mags...we used to wage war on them at one time when we used to have our own little shoot;putting parts;pheasants;ducks on the land;

using larsen traps and shooting every magpie and crow nest we came across in spring time ..and did the same on other permissions just used for the pigeon shooting just to keep numbers down but slackened off them nowadays.

Edited by yickdaz

Just scatter half a loaf around a tight area and leave some in the bread bag, i think the bag helps attract them more than just the bread alone.(imho)

Their that used to black bags and other refuse lying about these days they just dive right in and rip the bags open.

This is my first pcp rifle and oh boy what a difference :yes: , i've used spring guns for the past 40 years but none compare with this s400, the accuracy is amazing.

I know theres no recoil but i think you have more confidence in shot placement with a pcp than with a springer. My 2 bobs worth anyway.

I've left them alone all this week and my son wants to go give it a try this weekend so depending on the precipitation this weekend i might give them another go.

thanks for the comments.