Flighting woodies under a beech hanger

Just had one of best afternoons with the most testing birds so far this autumm ,a real change in the birds with cooler nights and so of foliage gone.

One of favorite boyhood beech hangers I shot nearly ever weekend in the late eights when there was a massive beecmast harvest.The birds started on the mast from sept till april annd I never failed to shot less than 50 in that span from the same spot.

Still back to today arrived late as we have had heavy rain showers the birds had pushed off the wheat drilling and moved onto the linseed stubble ,I think because the drilling was very muddy there was no real sign that there where on the mast until after I inspected the crops and there where jam packed with mast.

I saw many hundreds of birds flighting from three big beech hangers and they where tracking between all afternoon.

Shoot some cracking flighting birds and missed a fair few as well.I will be returning next weekend more dialed in as I only took cartridges and gun plus the my two hounds.

Cheers OTH

Pigeonshootingoctoder2010.jpg

Pigeonshootingoctoder2010.jpg

great bag oth must say the dogs looked like they'd had enough :oops:

atb dolphin

Yes one is 13 and bit the other is 12 near the end of there working life but there faces if I leave then behind is not happy so if I can drive the truck near to setup they come with me.

If I have to walk and the truck is out of sight they have to stay at home . :good:

Cheers OTH

well done oth i have 2 old labs as well and if i done take them the go in a huff with me and the good lady has to feed them as they wont eat there dinner for me when i get back :good::good:

was out picking up today and saw hundreds on pigeons feeding on beech trees but there right in the middle of one of the main partridge drives so the safe for now :yes: B) :lol: