winch

guss109

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all would a winch rated at 6000lb be man enought to fit onto an L200?

Next question if its big enought would it be simple enought to fit?

I have a 3500lbs pull winch 31 years old that is bolted to a plate that slips over the towbar, never failed to get me out of sticky situations. On double line it pulled a 3.5ton Lorry that had the brakes stuck on across a forecourt. Having said that I have never run it for long periods. And I have found its nearly always better to pull out backwards as you have tracks already made. To go forwards you normally need to clear in front of the wheels. Obviously bigger is always better. But beware with big winches, any weakness in the chassis and boom. I used to carry out Forestry work and the winch saved my vehicle countless times. Oh its called a powerwinch. Cheers hope this helps

you're alright James you have a landrover they never get stuck :santa:

Landrovers never get stuck, they only fail to proceed!

We found this little puddle during the Ladoga Trophy in Russia, my winch is hydraulic with its pump running directly off the crankshaft.

post-11065-0-96846100-1290716214.jpg

I have a Warn XD9000i on the front of my Jeep mounted behind an ARB winch bumper... lovely piece of kit! Haven't needed it often but the couple of times I have it's been awesome... I also have a plasma rope but still haven't fitted it... I know they need to be fitted under tension but what's the best way to do it? how do you get the first couple of turns on without ripping the anchor bolt out?

I have a Warn XD9000i on the front of my Jeep mounted behind an ARB winch bumper... lovely piece of kit! Haven't needed it often but the couple of times I have it's been awesome... I also have a plasma rope but still haven't fitted it... I know they need to be fitted under tension but what's the best way to do it? how do you get the first couple of turns on without ripping the anchor bolt out?

Put the plasma around the drum and then splice the end back and forth through the rope, tape the rope to the drum with gaffa tape and the capstan effect will cause the rope to grip the drum. the advantage with this method is that if you pull all the rope off the drum you will not detach it.

Get a proper tirfor cable hoist. they can pull you forward, backward, sideways, straight up where ever you want. If your not working it all the time your not carring extra weight all the time, also your vehicals already heavy at the front if you put an extra 100 kgs on the front with bumper and winch you'll probably get stuck more often. Their fairly bullet proof aswell Ive got a 1.6 ton rated one and Ive pulled trees out with it, not sure about the quality of these £30 leccy jobs.