winch

guss109

The one mounted on the front of my defender is 16000lb it will pull anything out of anywhere . Winches get very hot very quick if running at there top end performance and there is no going back once its burnt out .

You would be far better saving your money and buying a bigger better one .

Im not saying go and spend 2 grand on a twin motor Gigglepin Warn winch but they are cheap for reason .

Champion do a good 12000lb winch for about £250 which is a good entry level winch capable of pulling your motor out of any sticky situations .

In the offroading world there is a lot of snobbery about my winch will pull more than yours and mine is faster than his . You need one thats suits your purpose but if its not up to it then there is no point having it at all

i take it you mean the snatch block im not much of a typer if you google "winch snatch block" it will tell you all you need to know its a pulley wheel you fix to your anchor point then bring the wire back to your truck because of how pulley work and all that it halfs the weight

the rating they give you is for the first layer of wire each layer it then decrease's, im not up on why would think its to do with the drum size increaseing where the wire goes on as layers build up , another one for google lol hope ive been a little bit of help ive got a defender 110 heavily laden ive rebuilt for overlanding its got a 9000lb and thats fine for what i need

Edited by orkney

With regards to the pull on the first layer, Orkney is correct. The first layer of the drum is closer to the rotating element. As more layers wind up, the distance from the pivot increases thus more torque would be required to maintain the same line pull. conversly though As you get more wraps on the drum the effective circumference increases and thus the line speed increases too.

Be very careful with the super cheap winches, often the solenoids will go with the slightest hint of heavy use / moisture. and generally the components are poor and weak. If you keep it inside though rather than being on the front of a truck I think it should fare a little better. Still it is a shame if it breaks when you really need it. Also bear in mind that these cheap chineese ones will probably be nowhere near the rated pull they claim. Be careful to keep at least three wraps on the drum or you may be likely to just rip out the cable fixing.

Snatch blocks do indeed double the pull but they also half the speed. With three you really need a whole lot of cable on your drum, and you won't be able to pull very far. Not having enough cable to reach an anchor / tree can be a huge pain.

I've read alot of good stuff about bowyers goodwinch series. and I peronally run a come-up ds9.5i on the 90 which is a cracking winch. the same units as the superwinch ones.

thats what mine is a bowyers goodwinch (goldfish) with dyneema rope on it, same as the champion but with a couple of tweeks. if im not mistaken the come up winch is the one that top gear had on the hilux for there artic challenge.

Edited by orkney

you've a few issues with an l200. where to bolt it is the first one you need fairly serious modification to get it onto the chasis. If you had a smallish unit i guess you could mount it on the rear when needed and all you'd need to fabricate would be something to attach it to the tow bar mounting. Just depends how often you get stuck as to how worthwhile it is. Personally decent tryes and common sense has prevented me getting stuck other than twice, then a mobile and a farmers number on it is usually quicker and easier as a tractor will get you out of most situations

yup, you're correct, the top gear hiluxes did run come-up winches. I'm happy with them, and they don't have nearly as much current draw at the same power as the warns.

I must admit, I would really like some plasma rope on the front as it is compartatively a joy to work with. I also very rarely use the winch for self recovery. It is mostly used for general tasks, Pulling trees down, etc. Before running a permanent mount I had a removeable mount I fabricated on the front. It was a hell of a job to put on and off single handedly, having it permanently on the front I must admit is a whole lot more convenient.

Don't forget that winches are bloody heavy, in the region of 50KG +the weight of the mounting plate, so having a removable one isn't always a good idea. If I was up to my knees in mud, in the dark and on my own the last thing I would want to be doing is trying to get that amount of weight on the towball/ front mount.