Deer Stalking in the rain

tinytim38

Don't say that, we have 2 days hind stalking this weekend and it forecast to hose down for both days :hmm:

Edit. I should had we have done this before and still got our deer no problem, but it wasn't a very pleasant experience.

I find them almost impossible to see in those conditions which doesn't help either.

I haven't done much stalking but have stalked in heavy rain twice and a medium rain once. The two times on roe were no shows but the medium rain was on reds on the hill and i did get a stag in the end just had to wait for him to stand. However I was out this morning after heavy rain last night and got a deer within 1 hour and there were plenty more moving about as they hadn't eaten during the night in the rain.

George

thanks for all your advice, seems like the decision has been taken out of my hands, just spoke to the stalker I was going with and he said the does still have a lot of dependant kids with them and its not a good time to shoot them as I would have to take the whole family, which is something I dont want to be doing not for no good reason, anyone else experienced this , he said it was due to the late birth date, or is it that he does not want to go?:)?

Hmmm it is possible, however that doesn`t rule out everything, one of the best times to go stalking is in the rain, it hides you scent very well and also softens the ground making for a quieter approach, however i have a synthetic and stainless .243 which doesn`t mind the rain and nor do i, it depends on your personal preference, do you like the rain and how does your rifle respond?

I've seen, shot and guided people onto my best medal roe heads in heavy summer rain. My theory is that the wise old boys know there is less likely to be anyone around, orchard workers, forestry workers, stalkers etc.

Of course this doesn't apply to rotten wet winter weather when everything tucks up and seems miserable.

I was going with and he said the does still have a lot of dependant kids with them and its not a good time to shoot them as I would have to take the whole family, which is something I dont want to be doing not for no good reason, anyone else experienced this

If you are culling this is exactly what you need to do, either on your own or with another stalker along side you.

We go this time every year and take hind and then the calves.

Without wishing to put a DAMPENER (Ha Ha!) on your plans - I have to say that for the last 4 months I have been working at my permission where there are a lot of Roe deer and I have noticed that they are rarely out first thing in the morning when it's wet. BigRob. :good: