eletric training collar

danimal

has anyone used/ had experience with these? ive got a very pig headed 5 month old dobermann and we are struggling to stop unwanted behavior?

experiences?

Dan

Its just a little pup at 5 month old mate. By all means teach it a bit of discipline but let it have some fun and make a bond before any serious training. There should be no need for a collar at this age and you would be better off spending the money on some dog training books.

Dob's are hard headed dogs that need to be set on, and kept on, the right track and you are bang on wanting to stop unwanted behaviour BUT you don't need a collar at this age. What behaviours are problematic and how are you responding to them at the moment?

The worst one is

when we walk him, if we let him off the lead he just stays about 10 feet in front of us barking and growling the entire time when we are in the field! as soon as we get to a path he stops! he will even sometimes get as far as givbing a little nip to the anbkle or thigh, ive tried ignoring him shouting at him distracting him with his toy and giving him a wollop and none of it seems to work! any ideas!? although only 5 and a half months old he is about 30 kg and my mrs is only little so hes starting to get too big to be playing the way he does!

He's taking the ****, a forum is not the best place to try and resolve this. You need somebody local who can see the dog and how you are interacting with him.

He needs to learn his place ALL the time, not just in the house or on walks, no "rewards" until he behaves appropriately. It's the timing and reading of the appropriate behaviour and the figuring out what is a reward and the timing of it that will sort this pup out. Try and get some professional guidance locally, from a behaviourist. Remember, it might cost £30/£40/£50 an hour, but chances are 2 or 3 sessions will set you on the right track. Good luck.

Oh, and back to your original question - don't bother with a collar, the dog doesn't understand how to behave so it doesn't know what it's being corrected for.

I've just been recommended these for my 7 month old ridgeback pups.

http://www.dogmatic.org.uk/index.html

At the moment they are on haltie collars however my O/H has problems with them pulling and is not strong enough to hold both of them at once, I'll be ordering 2 of these collars and see how we get on with them, even if it stops them pulling her and helps to calm them when on the lead it will be a start.

Two pups at the same time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You really need to train these separately to walk at heel before you take them out together.

Regarding the five month old Dob, get some help now, the biggest killer of young male dogs is euthanasia! Personally I think the collar will make him much worse and will bring about his demise earlier. There are several people in your area who can help just google them and good luck.

I advocate the use of electric collars BUT they must be use at the right time in the right conditions.

I own one and use it now and again to train my dog.

Don't take this the wrong way pal but you can't just electrocute your dog in the hoping that it will start behaving straight away.

If you've come here for help with a dog this young I'm guessing your not experienced in training dogs. I have experience in training dogs and I've taken dogs to trainers before, and do so now and again.

If your planning on using a collar forget it right now. Find a good trainer near you who has experience in your type of dog and start there.

Hope all goes well mate, good luck.

PS. My brother in law has a Doberman and that acts like a #*@& as well!

and get it sorted now otherwise you'll be putting it down by 12 months. Is he castrated if not personally i'd get that done straight away as you are walking headlong into big issues. Then you as said need proper help

Yeah cut it's balls off and that will solve everything. What if he wants to use it for stud in the future?