which is best time of the year for decoying ?

trigger

Hi Trigger

New drillings and stubbles after harvest are probably the best times, but pigeon decoying can be done all year round if shooting under the the terms of the open general licence. You might have to work a bit harder at it in the winter though as the birds form bigger flocks which are easier spooked.

If you're new to it and want to take a holiday and maximise your chance of success, then you are probably best to pay a pigeon guide. They will show you the ropes and do the reconnaissance to ensure (as far as possible, they are "wild" birds after all) that you get some action.

Where abouts are you?

Edited by Blunderbuss

Thanks mate.

I am from Malta and am an experienced hunter but not had the chance to do pigeon shooting in UK yet, but wish to do it. Although travelled a lot for wingshooting but had not experienced it in UK so far. Yes that's my intention to pay a guide, but wish to know the proper time to be successful as much as possible.

Some say March and August, some say Scotland better !!!

Wish to hear some opinions, as I know in this forum are some of the most experienced pigeon shooters.

Thanks again and any help is much appreciated.

TRIGGER.

Judging by the posts on here, the South and East of the country seem to get the biggest bags. Lincolnshire, Norfolk/Suffolk and Essex in the East, Oxfordshire, Buckinghamshire, Wiltshire etc in the South. That's a very non scientific, wet finger in the air from peoples posts on here. However from time to time people do report good bags from all over the country, including as you say Scotland. I think basically anywhere where there is plenty of arable for them to feed on and and woods to roost in. Good luck!

Best times are in July when they first harvest and all the years young birds are still naive to the ways of the pigeon shooter and so decoy well.

Agreed. 10 years ago I would have said the Spring drillings was the bumper time to shoot but with the new drills that the farmers use this isn't the case. There just isn't any spill for the birds.

I now find in our area, the best time to make consistent bags is in the harvest/Autumn time. Particularly on pea/bean stubbles.

• 2 weeks later...