50 grain Berger Varmint

I used to use 50g Bergers in my 223, and they were very accurate.

However, the 50g V max are not too dissimilar in accuracy, plus I feel a lot more comfortable in the the way that they knock a fox down.

Maybe just a personal thing, but I would never go back to Bergers

Don

Hi Don,

What do you load for your 223 now? Do you feel the v max are a better fox round? Did you experience Bergers not expanding too good?

Regards,

Paul

Hi Don,

What do you load for your 223 now? Do you feel the v max are a better fox round? Did you experience Bergers not expanding too good?

Regards,

Paul

I use 24.5 g of Vit 133 and find this to be an excellent load for the 50g Berger and 50g V Max. If I do my stuff right I get three shot groups touching at 100 yards with my Sako 75. I zero 1" high at 100 yards and aim dead on from 50 - 200 yards. At 250 yards I get c.4" drop but this degrades to c.9" at 300 yards (very rare I shoot at this range).

I have no idea what twist rate the rifle has - may seem to be strange but I never worry about the N'th degree of ballistics - all I worry about is getting the rifle grouping well and knocking down foxes with the minimum amount of effort.

Don