Ladderbox

Klaas

Hi there, I just build myself a very nice ladderbox.

But i did not catch any crow's with it yet.

Does anyone have any advice how to place one of these.?

Currently it is standing underneath some trees.

Any advice is welcome.

Klaas

mate not over sure what you mean by ladderbox,but if it's simialar to our larson trap basically if you can't get old of a decoy bird try placing it in full view <ie in the middle of an open field> this will enable all the corvid's in your area to see it .

by the way place 1/2 chicken eggs in it you'll be sure to catch

I think a ladder box trap is what I call a letter box trap. These traps can catch well over 100 rooks when set properly.

For those who are still wondering what a letter box trap is. Pen sections which form a rectangle 8m x 4m with a improvised ladder across the middle.

When I've used them to catch rooks, I place the trap on a field that has been cut for silage. Leave the netting off the top of the trap for 2 days. Ensure that you have plenty of corn in the trap. The rooks will soon find and devour the corn. On the 3rd day put the net over the pen sections, and dont disturb the trap. The birds enter through the rungs of the ladder, and cannot fly back . Simple. When you empty the trap of birds, do it at night. The theory behind it, is other birds wont know what happend to their mates, therfore will still enter the trap. You may have to move the trap only a few hundred yards and catching will commence again.

I've set my trap to catch rooks only to find that I've caught some crows. (Bait corn and maize)

Have you tried baiting the trap with white bread, dead rabbits etc.

Good Luck

Here in Denmark I use a living crow,have to place water and food in the trap,and it works.

I`s not aloved but I have tryed with many other things,egg,corn,bread even dead rabbits,but nothing match one or two crows...

Always keep two in the trap when you kill the others......

Good luck...