When is the 'right' time to enter a competition?

GregR

i understand the sentiment about just jumping in and having a go, but surely there is a point you need to be at when you are shooting a 'normal' club type shoot at which you won't embarrass yourself at a comp. i am a novice shooter (8 weeks) but improving fairly rapidly due to me shooting a slab a week at the mo in order to 'get up to speed' with the local scene. i scored a 73% at Hereford and Worcester last weekend, but normally i am about 60% at apparently tricky layouts local to me.

I suppose i am summising as to whether it is a different world at a comp or just the same old people with the same old range of abilities.

i would like to compete, and i don't necessarily mind coming last, but i don't want there to be fresh air between me and last but one, if you know what i mean...

i understand the sentiment about just jumping in and having a go, but surely there is a point you need to be at when you are shooting a 'normal' club type shoot at which you won't embarrass yourself at a comp. i am a novice shooter (8 weeks) but improving fairly rapidly due to me shooting a slab a week at the mo in order to 'get up to speed' with the local scene. i scored a 73% at Hereford and Worcester last weekend, but normally i am about 60% at apparently tricky layouts local to me.

I suppose i am summising as to whether it is a different world at a comp or just the same old people with the same old range of abilities.

i would like to compete, and i don't necessarily mind coming last, but i don't want there to be fresh air between me and last but one, if you know what i mean...

I don't think you will be last with a score of 73 at English Sporting at any ground but you can see what the lowest scores have been at local grounds by searching the cpsa website. On "Scores" search by ground name and click on the most recent, the scores are listed in order so scroll to the bottom and you have the lowest score. I would be suprised if a 60% is the lowest either which you say your average is, so get booked on. :good:

Someone has to be last and it would appear that it is unlikely to be you but if you've only been shooting for 8 weeks you shouldn't be embarrassed if it is. :yp:

Get on and enjoy mate! Shooting competitions is one of the best ways to improve- get around and see as many grounds as you can. Everyone else will be concentrating on their game, how many you hit is of no interest to them. Get stuck in and go for it. My first registered sporting I shot was a 46 if I remember and it didn't put me off.

Ed