Any persons with electrical knowledge

gixer1

Ok folks, I'm fed up with coming home after being out shooting and putting wet clothes in my garage to return to them a week later for them still to be wet (but frozen) i'm not sure my garage has been over 1 degree c since November!

So...a friend has given me a 3ft Phillips tube heater, I intend to mount this to the wall just above floor height and hang the shooting clothes above it so the heat will rise and dry the clothes (it shouldn't take a lot of heat just enough to warm them and dry them slowly)

The tube heater is 60w/ft so 180watt and 240v and has a 13 amp fuse, so - how much will this cost to run per day?

Regards,

Gixer

if you divide 180 by 1000 that will be a abbout a fith of a killowatt per hour so every 5 hours (approx )it will be a killowatt hour (kwh) you should be able to tell from your electricity supplier what they charge you for a kwh (akwh being 1000watts per hour ) the rest you can work out it would be cheaper also to put it on a timer to be honest if the room is large and draughty it will take forever to warm up hope it all makes sense pete

Sorry gents it's a separate garage, I did think about running pipes for a rad but i've already had the pipe for the outside tap I run freeze and burst so thought the rad idea may not be the best (as the heating is off most of the day and it has been minus 17 a few times here in the last few months!)

It's a double garage so I don't expect to heat the entire garage but just to get a slightly warmer rising band of air if the tube is below the coat hooks the clothes will be on.

I did think about a small wardrobe with the heater inside to maximise the heat like an airing cupboard.

I'm with scottish hydro so I reckon the price will be around 10-15p/kwh so that would around 50p-75p/day or £3.50-£5.25 a week or £14-£21 a month does that sound right? If so that's not too bad for heating and drying the clothes inthe winter months is it?

Regards

Gixer.

Edited by gixer1