Suitable land or NOT?

Jon-Boy

You mention the danger of the roads and train track. Well i can surely here if a train is coming, its makes a right racket. So flo knows im definatley not gonna shoot when one does come. As for the road at the bottom of the shoot, i dont shoot that way because of the owners house. And the roads to the sides of the shoot are about half a mile away and sunken with fifteen foot banks either side.

Edited by Jon-Boy

Jon-Boy, you might consider having a chat with your FEO to discuss the possibility of the .17HMR over the .22LR. I know its not as quiet, but it is a much safer round as it doesnt richoche like the .22LR and will not travel as far either. Sussex Police view the .17HMR in this way, being a frangable round. We have had plots of 4 and 4 acres cleared for the .17HMR and vairly flat too. :o

Ive heard varying stories of the .17hmr, i would love one of these rifles, even over the .22. Ive heard its a more dangerous round due to the speed at which the round travels and that i travels far further than a .22 rimmy?

theres no trouble at all shooting toward the train track surely. The Train, and it is only one that uses the line (single carriage) you can hear it coming from a mile off, its easy enough not to take a shot until it passes

Jon the 17HMR is a much faster round indeed and delivers more weight at the muzzle than the .22LR. However, the .22LR is a 40grain lead bullet that carries its momentum and power further than the 17 grain Ballistic Tipped .17HMR. This is what makes it much safer. The .17HMR looses its power very quickly as opposed to the .22LR. It may also be worth noting that when the land is cleared for .22LR it is done so for the use of Hyper Velocity rounds, not the Subsonic rounds that are normally used.