poaching or not???

muckybear

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a game license is necessary if you wish to shoot game such as hare or pheasant /partridge ,cost about £6 from your post office (so how come we dont all buy them?:lol:).

good luck

pete ;)

Not actually true.

Although I do have one, and advocate everyone getting one, legally it's not necessary on farmland.

You only need a game license for shooting on unenclosed land eg moorland etc. Shooting on a farmers field, although it may not be enclosed by fences, hedges etc, still constitutes shooting on ENclosed land.

Dave

sorry mate but it aint me whos got this one wrong if you shoot game you need a game license no matter where its being shot. :lol:

Guest jonrms
I second that highlander/cranfield, sometimes i wonder how people get a certificate, i can only assume that he knows about seasons for game and wildfowl and the requirement for a game licence and what species of bird or wildlife are protected, and finaly how dangerous a shot gun is in the wrong hands :lol:

Sorry guys but to I feel it necessary to put my 2 cents in on this conversation.

I have a full shotgun and rifle (22) licence. I have only joined this club becaue I felt it necessary to understand the ins and outs and to meet contacts who will be able to "mentor" me in the right direction.

reading through the posts (expecially on the first page) it it appearant that new people interested in shooting game or vermin are often (dare i say) picked on for there lack of knowledge.

Surley this should be why this website if formed! I believe we are sharing ideas, experiance, and suggestions. We ALL want to continue shooting in one form or another. We ALL have made mistakes. Some more serious than others in the past and it is OUR duty as a web forum/club to help other members!.

Instead of saying off the mark comments like "how do these people ever get licences in the first place" etc.. Why cant we just help them out and guide them. The first thing said was I joined because I do not know!

I am very upset at the fact that people just list there rubbish and problems from homelife or where ever on the forum, often belittleing or in a round about way abusing / and scaring off potentially new members. If we stop and help them without critisim than they may not run away and bring down the name or rights of shooting priviliages.

I really am sorry for posting this but in my honest opinion I feel that someone needs to grab ahold of certin members and advise that there actions or comments are not constructive and there posts should be removed immediatly.

I found this out when I first joined. I can honestly speak from experiance and have found myself reluctant to post or make any replys on this board because of the potential critisim and just plain ignorance by members.

I apprecaite that this will prompt alot of replys. some agreeing and others disputing my views. Again we all have differant views and no one will have the exact same view. So all replys welcome. I have ensured that I have not named or shamed anyone as I refuse to sink down to a level I find non constructive.

thank you. :<

a game license is necessary if you wish to shoot game such as hare or pheasant /partridge ,cost about £6 from your post office (so how come we dont all buy them?:lol:).

good luck

pete ;)

Not actually true.

Although I do have one, and advocate everyone getting one, legally it's not necessary on farmland.

You only need a game license for shooting on unenclosed land eg moorland etc. Shooting on a farmers field, although it may not be enclosed by fences, hedges etc, still constitutes shooting on ENclosed land.

Dave

sorry mate but it aint me whos got this one wrong if you shoot game you need a game license no matter where its being shot. :lol:

So we'll agree to differ then. Will see if I can dig out where I read it (possibly in the "Fair Game" book about the wildlife and countryside act).

In the meanwhilst I'm sure that Gemini will come back with exact answer from the right source. (or I'll bare my **** in Woolworths window) :lol:

Dave

So far I've found Hares and Deer.

Ground game act 1880 sect 4

A game license is not required:

1. by occupiers of land or persons authorised by them under the provisions of the GGA 1880 to take or kill rabbits or hares

and

Game Licenses act 1860 sect 5

A game licence is not required for the pursuing and killing of deer by hunting with hounds (legal in England and Wales only (well it was then)), or the taking and killing of deer in inclosed lands by the owner or occupier of such lands or by those under his direction or with his permission.

I'm still looking for similar info about game birds which is what this is about really. I'm pretty sure I'm right but always open to being educated.

Dave

cool ,if im wrong ill be first to accept it mate.

dont know about deer but as far as game birds i always believed that a game licensed was required but then i thought it was the same for hares however your last post seems to show that i was wrong on that one.

i will watch to see what you find ,always open to learning something. :lol:

and by the way which woolworths will it be and will photos be available should i be right??? :lol:;)

pete

It's the Canada Geese that worry me.

If I've got this right (and I am confused with it) you can shoot Canadas out of season as vermin with pretty much anything you have that will do the job humanely

but

as soon as the season starts all of a sudden you can only do them with shotguns and using lead free shot.

Can someone either correct me on this or tell me which phuqwit thought of it?

dave

Duration

Colour

Purpose

Cost £

Taken out after 31 July and expiry 31 July following year

Red

Covers all open seasons for game birds and shooting of hares where not exempt

Taken out after 31 July and expiry 31 October same year

Green

Popular for grouse shooters

Taken out after 31 October and expiry 31 July following year

Blue

Popular for pheasant shooters

Occasional licence for any continuous period of 14 days

Black

Popular where game is perhaps shot only once during the year

http://www.telford.gov.uk/Environment+and+...ame+license.htm

http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-countrysi...me-licences.htm

these both say you need alicense for hares unless there exempt but dont give exemptions? i can still feel a bare **** in woolies coming on :lol:

pete

can any1 help me out if you have permission to shoot on farm land does that give you the right to shoot anything i.e pheasants etc (quote from the farmer) if it ay livestock let it have it thanks in advance

Going back to original thread. If you have permission to shoot anything, you do need to do your homework as far a sesons go. Check out BASC`s website. For year round shooting it should be pest vermin only, and not game. This normally means: Corvids (crows etc), rabbits, pigeons and fox. My farmer does not want me to shoot, hares or any game birds, it`s his land and what he says goes. The only pest bird i will not shoot are jays. Also you have to make shure you can I. D. what you are shooting. This time of year for instance a fast flying fieldfare can look much like a collard dove. But is infact a thrush so is a NoNo. I hope this has helped a bit.

jonrms: I dont see any need for an apology for your reply - it's an open forum and we each add to it... or ignore as we see fit.

Your points are of view are welcome by most of us I'm sure.

:lol: Still waiting to see if there's any arsin about in woolies ;)

Edited by Dave-G

If I've got this right (and I am confused with it) you can shoot Canadas out of season as vermin with pretty much anything you have that will do the job humanely

but

as soon as the season starts all of a sudden you can only do them with shotguns and using lead free shot.

dave

i read it the same as that mate sum f*@kwit justi fying his job again i think :lol:

pete

Looks like I may have to eat crow on the birds then.

I might just give BASC a ring tomorrow and get their spin on it. The whole subject is a minefield and we're all probably breaking some law or other sometimes without knowing it. It's amazing that they have to bring out books to make sense of them.

I do recommend, for anyone that really wants to understand what we can and can't do, go out and get a copy of fair Game by Charley Parkes and john Thornley.

And obviously as Gemini has appeared (as if by magic) I'll not be baring my bum in woolies window (although I realise this will be absolutely devastating news to Mr Bivvy. Bit he's from Leeds so he'll get over it.

Dave

Sorry if theres any spellings, I ain't got me specs on and everythings blurred and why cant I put smilies into the post if I've got text after where I want to put them?

but

dave

I think the fact it has been put on the pest species list means that is no longer classed as Game for the purposes of controling it all depends on how You describe the activity You are carrying out if You say its a sporting activity the season would apply but call it pest control and You can use the method that is most Humane in You're opinion . Could be completely wrong here but that is the way I see it

I really am sorry for posting this but in my honest opinion I feel that someone needs to grab ahold of certin members and advise that there actions or comments are not constructive and there posts should be removed immediatly.

I found this out when I first joined. I can honestly speak from experiance and have found myself reluctant to post or make any replys on this board because of the potential critisim and just plain ignorance by members.

Again no need for apologies ........I'm guilty of curt comments myself sometimes :lol:

The reality is that if we were all nice and agreed/disagreed with each other in a pleasant way the Forum would die and nobody would benefit ............It takes a balance of characters to make it work .

Probably not in this case but some of the questions are on a whats 2 + 2 basis and I can see the reasons why some characters on this forum get frustrated ........Old age as well don't help ;):lol:

Loose the reluctance and stick with it mate as there are more positive responses than the negative critical ones .

Ive :lol:

Interesting post, I'm pretty new to this forum business and so please except my apologies if I am heading in the wrong direction....

Personally I am not 100% sure on the Pheasant argument but, I know from working on a shoot, that, if I saw anyone taking a pop at a Pheasent in or out of season (that is not involved with an organised shoot/sydicate) I would not be very happy. During the season, some gamekeeper/underkeeper/syndicate members work hard to keep these birds happy, as someone has paid a lot of money to shoot these birds as part of an organised shoot.

Out of season the birds are left well alone to breed, wonder and generally be "happy" so that we have a better stronger stock for the following season.

I am sure if the farmer said to you anything except farm stock goes he means Corvids and Pigeons not Pheasants.

Just my opinion.

XL ;)

I can see your point Pot shot but you should think a bit further. A shoot that I'm on is next to a couple of others who equally spend a lot of time rearing their birds. But birds is birds and I haven't a problem shooting their birds that come onto our patch. A farm I shoot on is happy for me to shoot fessys that stray from an adjoining shoot. It's a perk for doing a good job for him.

Bear in mind that once birds have been released they don't belong to anyone really. If a shoot can't hold them within its boundaries, that's life and is accepted.

Going onto someones shoot and taking the birds is a different kettle of fish and is poaching and armed trespass.

Dave

Hi Dave,

that was the point I was trying to make. Agreed, birds will wonder and if they wonder on to land that does not have shoots on, then you are fully within your rights (with farmers permission and during the required season) to shoot them. My point was more aimed at the lesser informed. On the shoot I work on we have alternate Saturdays for the shoot but the farmer has given some Pigeon shooters permission to shoot on the opposite Saturday to us (and supposedly no where near the drives) but on more than one occasion we have found them in their hides just off one of the drives on our Saturday :lol: Claiming they got the days wrong and were not sure what drives we were doing that day.... :< ****!!!! I guarantee that if the odd stray Fessy fly past it wouldn't get far....

XL ;)

Agreed, thats not on. I have another farm with a similar situation. He has a shoot on the land and during the season we avoid the areas that need avoiding and let them get on with it. Game birds and deer are off limits and we stick to it. Hares are fair game but we don't kick the **** out of it. We've never met anyone from the shoot and that's good. They do their thing and we do ours. Benefits them as we do some of the foxes, benefits us because there are more people covering the land at different times which deters poachers.

Jobs a goodun

Dave