When to start practicing?

Snoogins

Hey all,

I am aware this is a difficult question to answer, as it depends on the person, but at what stage of a clay shooters development can he/she go practice without an instructor?

Just asking as I've been target shooting since I was young and have had 4 formal 1hr clay lessons and a couple of corporate days. I am pretty comfortable with the easier clays and am beginning to shoot from the gun down position. Lessons are pretty expensive so I'd like to find a way to shoot more economically :)

Cheers,

Leon

Are you an adult with your own licence? If so, just go! I have never had any formal lessons (as those that have shot with me will testify) but once I was legal and had all the kit, I was off. You are better off going with a gang of more experienced shooters if you are just starting out, but you can go on your own if you like and you certainly don't need to be accompanied by a pro instructor.

Most grounds will allow you practice if the instructor says your safe, however some may try to get you to spend more on lessons but very few would insist on an instructor being present unless they feel you are unsafe or need supervising for some other reason, I do know of one person who after some lessons was asked not to return to clay ground.

If you have been taught correctly, not just the shooting skills, but also gun handling, safety and ettiquete then get out there and do it. The CPSA Shotgun Skills Award covers everything and while it is not for everyone if you do this course most grounds take it as proof you know what you are doing. An experienced friend who can act as a buttoner can keep an eye on you for any lapses or obvious errors. Its more fun than shooting alone too.

If your Instructor is a decent person then they will honestly tell you if you are ready. In my experience encouraging clients to get out and shoot without an Instructor is not the end of business with them but it does get them more relaxed. Shooting under an Instructors gaze is great for a total novice but sometimes it is just nice to get out there and do your own thing and just shoot some targets once you are safe and have mastered the basics. Most clients do return for a refresher or a lesson to sort out a specific problem they encounter when on their own.

Remember your Instructors advice. Think about your stance, pick up points, gunholds, break zones and plan your shot. Keep calm, ensure you mount the gun correctly and read the target. Above all else remember safety and gunhandling and you won't go far wrong.

If you encounter a problem then you can always have an hours refresher to restore confidence or learn a new technique.

It's meant to be fun so if you and your Instructor feel you are ready then get out and do it.

Edited to add.

Don't forget you can practice your stance, balance, swing and gunmount for free at home too.

I know several top class shooters who spend 15 minutes every day just practicing gun mount to build muscle memory and strength.

Edited by hillmouse

Don't forget you can practice your stance, balance, swing and gunmount for free at home too.

I know several top class shooters who spend 15 minutes every day just practicing gun mount to build muscle memory and strength.

If you can do this (in front of a large mirror is ideal), in a month or 2 you will be a better shot without seeing a clay the ideal is that the gun becomes part of you so where you look the gun fires if you can crack that the rest is easy...

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies. To fill in some of the gaps I am mid 20s, with no license as of yet (!). I am hiring a Browning 525 at the moment which I seem to be getting on with.

I'm going to book another lesson to have a chat about it, and then consider starting the license process as I know it can take a very long time. I have had firearms safety drilled into me from a young age so I am all for safe shooting.

I don't seem to know any clay shooters in my area as I've tried a variety of clubs (Churchills, Oxford and Royal Berkshire). Royal Berkshire Shooting School is only a 15 minute drive from me so I'll be the going forwards. Hopefully I will make some contacts there and find some shooting buddies :)

Leon

First thing to do is get your application in asap, which you can get from your local police station (or most local ones have them) or download it from your local police web site.

Once you have your licence you can then get your own gun and get out on your own, might be an idea to look around the gun shops to see which gun fits you the best prior to getting your licence, although you won't be able to buy one until your licence comes through.

You will find it easier to find a partner to shoot with if you have a licence, if you turn up at a club and want to have a round of clays and some grounds may let you use a gun on production of your licence.

When I have been to sonme grounds a chat with somne of the other people in the coffee shop can bring results, as they will let you tag along with them and some will allow you to try their guns.

The instructors I have used are willing to talk after the lessons and can point you in the right direction of where to go and some will come along with you to a gun shop / shooting ground to help in the selection of your equipment and can break the ice for you.

Most grounds will loan you a gun often a 525 or 686 Churchills and West London are the more expensive end of the range and may insist on you having a trapper with you I have heard good things about sporting targets down that way. If you enjoy the sport get your application in ASAP as its only £50 and its only going to get harder/more expensive if you wait! as long as you dont have criminal convictions it should be no problem to get an SGC on the basis of your current experience.

Edited by HDAV

In the early days I went out for some practice by myself - I just ended up missing targets and not knowing why.

Best to go out with experienced shooters and just get as many clays under your belt as possible. If you go out with others who are experienced they will have a better idea than you where you are going wrong and of course will be able to stand behind you and watch yo shoot.

P.S. I would just like to say the lessons so far have been very helpful, I'm just looking for a way to shoot as much as possible. Sightly OT, but when you fill out a shotgun cert and describe the storage facilities, is it easy to change this if you move house etc.? I presume someone has to come and look at it again...

Edited by Snoogins

Don't be surprised that once you have got your licence you will want to get a gun. :D Don't know what others think about cabinates, I would think about getting one that holds more guns than you will thing you want.

One that I think is worth getting is the Bratton sound RL5+ which can hold upto 5 guns and around a 1000 cartridges. Reason for getting a 5 gun cabinate is if you get the shooting bug, which you appear to already have, is you will get one gun then down the road you will come across another gun and get it. A bigger cabinate saves all the hassel of getting a small one then a few months later find you need another one and having to fit it and get it approved.

When I started I swore I would only ever get one gun, that went out of the window within a couple of months.

I agree I got a 4/5 gun 15 months ago ish and hopefully it will be full next month! if your just applying keep an eye out for a S/H can often found on here for £50 upwards if you can't find a bargain by interview time phone round local shops for best deal