any info on mallard

anyone got any info on rearing and releasing mallard, where i might get eggs from, what is required, where i might find eggs ( i live near a river dont know if taking them is allowed or not) what feed them with ? ( ill hatch under chickens) i know literally nothing about them just thought of getting some to augment the wild population to release onto a pond that is often shot over, that with a bit of help could be made half decent? any info appreciated

Edited by demonwolf444

• 1 month later...

I see your post was a while ago but thought i'd reply as nobody else has.

You'd probably be better off buying the chicks to be honest rather than using hens to hatch. Any good gamefarm would supply you some chicks. Depending on how many your after we probably could supply also aswell as eggs.

Ducks are relativly easy to rear as long as you provide some water for the to swim on as they get a little older otherwise they can grow to be afraid of water.

Hope this helps

like he said ducks are easey as hell to rear give them 10 days of heat and plenty of food and water and your fine however they will turn any pen/shed/garden in to a **** hole in days they are messy little *******. we keep ours on grass(well mud grass) for 7-8 weeks then pop them on the pond and their happy as

anyone got any info on rearing and releasing mallard, where i might get eggs from, what is required, where i might find eggs ( i live near a river dont know if taking them is allowed or not) what feed them with ? ( ill hatch under chickens) i know literally nothing about them just thought of getting some to augment the wild population to release onto a pond that is often shot over, that with a bit of help could be made half decent? any info appreciated

If your going to give ducklings access to water to swim make sure they can get off the water as they ( when young )will get water logged and drown, I once saw a guy put some in a bucket of water and forgot about them, dont release very young ducks on to a pond buzzards will have them for breakfast (one a day)wait until they are seven or eight weeks old, a roof netted pen by the pond might help them learn about predators, prior to release.

good luck

Tony A.