thinking of getting some ferrets

a.b.gamebags

hi lads im looking at getting some ferrets but i would like a little advise on what to get wetherim best to get 1,2 or 3 ? whats best fo me to start of with also what would you advise me to feed them on ( i know dead rabbits ect but i have been told that you can feed them on tined dog food. whats the best place to keep them? also what nets would you advise are the best on the market ?

thanks lads

regards ashley

its best to at least 2 ferrets together as they are very socil animals. 2 jills would be good to start with although you will need to get them taken out of season every year, an injection can sort this out or a snipped hob. Avoid tinned dog food as it doesnt have enough protein in for ferrets. dry ferret food is very good thats what I feed mine on and keep them healthy and teeth in good shape, best nets are spun nylon :good:

i started off with 2 hobs (they were brothers so got on fine :good: ) but i gave them to my cousin when he started ferreting, now ive got 3 jills :good: both lots have been good but i would recommend the jills :good: i feed my ferrets the occasional woodie or rabbit, but they are mostly on dry food :good: nylon nets are the best on the market mate, they are cheaper and dont rot :good:

The ammount of ferrets you get realy depends on how much and how often you are going to use them. If its just occasional use I personally would and have 2 hobs as they are easier to look after (dont need taking out of season) and they are a better size because when you ferret a set which holds a large buck your jill will certainly know about it. I have also kept quite a few jills together aswell about 5-6 in each cage mainly for breeding as I dont like working jills. Any combination is fine so long as they are kept together from being kits. As for the food I always feed my ferrets only on things that they would naturally feed on in the wild.

My 2 hobs living together feeding on a rabbit that they bolted.

post-12981-0-36453300-1296510210.jpg

Something different which they could quite easily get in the wild.

post-12981-0-74851600-1296510309.jpg

My old jills 5-6 to a cage.

post-12981-0-61723000-1296510474.jpg

ive got two hobs and two gills which a seperated every ones each to there own i have only every used hemp nets which are hand made by myself or my dad if there are looked after hung after after use to dry out they dont rot and can last for ever ive probably got 100-150 in use at the moment. however if money is an issue then buy nylon try and use the heavier plys as the dont tangle so easy. As food goes dry food can suppliment a diet now and again but try and not chop and change there diet i feed mine shot woodies one a nite with the occasionaly half a rabbit between two each nite.