Better Returns

Our vermin control on our shoot is 2nd to none, we take a lot of foxes from the shoot & the surrounding area each year and there is no doubt this helps. We don't use cover crops, however, we are lucky that we have a lot of natural cover on the shoot and this obviously helps. Other things like keeping on top of the feeding helps, we have about 3 or 4 feeders on each drive in strategic places. I don't know if you have any neighbouring shoots that could be drawing some of your birds but this could be a factor. We are lucky in that the surrounding miles around the shoot we have the shooting rights to and very few of our birds ever stray.

Good luck.

Our vermin control on our shoot is 2nd to none, we take a lot of foxes from the shoot & the surrounding area each year and there is no doubt this helps. We don't use cover crops, however, we are lucky that we have a lot of natural cover on the shoot and this obviously helps. Other things like keeping on top of the feeding helps, we have about 3 or 4 feeders on each drive in strategic places. I don't know if you have any neighbouring shoots that could be drawing some of your birds but this could be a factor. We are lucky in that the surrounding miles around the shoot we have the shooting rights to and very few of our birds ever stray.

Good luck.

We hope to do a serious vermin control programme from this year onwards, I hope to have my first rifle in a few weeks and I will be out lamping as many nights as I can, were also purchasing a few more larsen traps to get on top of the greycrows and magpies, we also hope to get a ladder trap and see how effect it is on the crow population around the shoot, I'd imagine things like this will help. We dont do any driven shooting but we still have a few feeders around the place and hopefully a good few more next year as I dont think you can ever have enough of them. There is no other clubs around us but like you's we have the shooting rights for miles around the release pen which is good in the sense we've more land to shoot but bad in the fact its a lot of ground to cover when out shooting.

Thanks for the reply, hopefully good vermin contol, more fedders and more members in the club can get the % up.

In my experience cover crops make a big difference to the average shoot and well worth the investment if you can get the farmer onside. With cover crops our returns were 50 -60%, without 25 -35%.

Vermin control is only absolutely essential if you rely on wild stock.

I think vermin contol is very essential when you are only releasing about 100ish birds a year. I know if we didn't do so well on the vermin control side we wouldn't be achieving 50%+ year on year.