DPF Diesel Particle filter

DSPUK

Check out Honest John's website for info on potential issues. They're not good news at all if you do a lot of short journeys as they need time to run through their regeneration cycle. If the regeneration cycle is regularly interrupted it can cause an engine runaway in certain vehicles.

Here's a link to one example: http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/askhj/answer/14323/sumpting

Edited by Schern

UKPoacher

can you please elaborate a bit more - I am looking at Pre reg 60 plate model 2 ltr TDCi - what do you mean by downhill - less mpg etc, - it will be used by wife to toodle round and me weekends to blast to a shoot - so will a weekend blast keep it in order. - can you tell when filter is cleaning itself and how many miles does it take.

Dave

UKPoacher

can you please elaborate a bit more - I am looking at Pre reg 60 plate model 2 ltr TDCi - what do you mean by downhill - less mpg etc, - it will be used by wife to toodle round and me weekends to blast to a shoot - so will a weekend blast keep it in order. - can you tell when filter is cleaning itself and how many miles does it take.

Dave

We use the 1.8 diesel Focus as beat vehicles and so they get used 24/7 and as you can imagine, quite a variation in driving circumstances. The ones up to '08' are rock solid inside and out, the interiors are still good at 120k and they handle and drive really well. The '09' ones handle strangely, they break when cornering without giving any notice, have poor acceleration and also have a harsh noise at around 2,500 - 3,000 rpm. Their interiors also seem less robust. The '60' plate ones are horrible - all the bad points of the '09' ones and decorated like a tart's boudaire. Until we got the '08' models I was really impressed with the Focus. I wouldn't have a new one.

I wouldnt touch a Focus or anything made by ford for that matter if an A3 is also on the radar.

A work collegue had a side impact in his 09 reg focus last year. The car folded up like a paper bag and he spent the best part of six weeks in hospital. The car that hit him was going around 35 - 40 mph.

Feel the difference in quality between the two cars. The Audi may well be more expensive but it will last a lot longer.