Does anyone know anything about Arthur Howell & Co

Dr W

Hi all

I've just bought an old side by side from a mate and I was trying to find a bit more about the company (tried Google but not much there).

The gun itself is a 28" non-ejecting, side by side, 12g with a english straight stock.

If anyone has any information or knows where to look please let me know.

Thanks

Drw

Is it anything like this one - if so this is going for £850

http://www.glasgowgunmakers.co.uk/gunroom/gun.aspx?id=2010

I googled "Arthur Howell & Co Gunsmiths" quite a few hits but as you say not many people have answers - there again I didn't spend that long reading every link.

Edit

if the name was on receiver then only a 100 were made with his name on

http://loch-burnfirearms.com/list.php?page=1&section=shotguns&subSection=engShotguns

Dave

Edited by DSPUK

Yeah I saw that one, it's very similar, I thought it would make a good rough/pigeon gun rather than bashing my other gun about. It fits very well and I did ok on the clays yesterday with it.

I was trying to find some history of the maker but very little around, most of the google hits are for a gunshop in Norfolk.

I did find this but wanted to delve a little deeper;

Firearms expert

BILL HARRIMAN

The maker, Arthur Howell, was first in business at 28 Weaman Street, Birmingham, in 1909.

The firm became Arthur Howell & Co in 1917.

It seems he stayed at Weaman Street until about1942, when he moved to No 21.

He was still recorded as a member of the Gun Trade Association in 1957.

Howell’s production appears to be small and the numbering system is inconsistent.

I think that number 7,558 dates from 1937.

Quote from Nigel Browns, British Gunmakers:-

Arthur Howell was recorded at 28 Weaman Street Birmingha, in 1909 and became Arthur Howell and co in 1917. He remained at Weaman Street until 1942 but may have removed to Whittall Street shortly thereafter. He is recorded as being there in Gun Trade membership at least until 1957.

A batch of non/ejector 12 gauge A &D guns bearing searial numbers 9500 - 9511 were made for this firm by the trade starting in the late 1920s. It is not known whether they carried any further serial numbers,

Blackpowder

There are only the eleven numbers in this series, 5001 numbers start as follows-

1927 9500

1928 9501

1929 9504

1930 9507

1931 9508

1932 9511

So if your gun serial number starts 50 itr is likely to be one of the eleven already mentioned

The years 1927 - 28 have other guns produced serial numbers starting 60-61 - 62 .

Then in 1931 the numbers which are now 5 digit start 193--.

Blackpowder