Roost shooting

spurgate

I normally move around for the first half hour until I work exactly where the birds are going to be heading. Once I know this I chuck up a quick hide and stay put.

I was out this afternoon and fired 27 shots for 5 birds!!!!!

On aplus point my 2 year old Cocker made his first ever retrieve of a runner!!!

Im like a proud dad!

If you can find a good "sitty tree" then stay put by it. My shoot has a few good ones, they tend to be trees with more small branches than average - I think this makes them feel safer from predators - and they like them to be slightly in from the edge of the woods but tall enough to see out over the surrounding trees.

I have one very large tree that sits in a small section of wood that juts out into an orchard, so it has open land on three sides. It has smaller trees ringing it. This tree is a natural magnet and will always provide a pigeon or two.

If you can find a tree covered in ivy or some other creeper then that will also pull them, especially in winter where it gives them some shelter.

You need to watch their flight line into the woods,but they usually circle anyway.

Look for pigeon droppings,this will tell you where they want to be in the woods.

Find a good place to stand facing the flight line,which means the wind is prob on your back and with the roost area in range.

Get ya camo gear on and stand STILL.

Put full chokes in and be prepared to use a lot of cartridges :lol: