First kill on NEW SHOOT

cynic

For my second trip out with the NV i decided to visit my newest shoot, which I gained last summer. I visited it for a quick reccy a few days after permisson was granted, didn't see any rabbits, or even signs of rabbits, and i hadn't been back since. Its alot larger than my other shoots (bigger than all of them put together actually!), but further away.

I arrived at 8pm, and parked at the main gate. Once i was in the main field i had a quick scan around with the NV, I'm still really pleased with this Bresser unit. It really does perform well for the price.

I headed north (indicated by the yellow line on the map), slowly along the egde of the permission, stopping every few metres to check with the NV. Nothing so far. Half way down the track i peered into a neighbouring field where i spotted a rabbit - frustrating as i dont have permission there. I followed the track, round past the pond (appears to be part filled in the map image, its 7m deep now!), once past the pond i panned across the fields with the monocular, i looked back at where i'de come from and was amazed to see a glinting eye. At first it looked like a rabbit reared up on its back legs, but with a huge dark blob next to it.... it was a dear laying down, and then i noticed another just to the left. I must have walked right past them, separated by only a few feet of tall grass.

I decided to try the top field, but to get there you have to cross the river Blackwater. Theres a fording point, back in the summer i manged to cross with just 2 strides, i got a wet foot in the process as i was only wearing trainers. With the recent rain it was quite alot deeper and running fast, so i eased myself across with small steps, the water was quite powerful, but no wet feet this time thanks to the trusty wellies.

Once in the top field i finally spotted a set of eyes, then another, then another, then a few more at the far end of the field. Here we go, we're in business!!! I stalked directly towards the closest rabbit, slowly creeping forward whilest watching through the etherial scope. Once in range i got down prone and switched on the lamp, the rabbit sat up alert giving me a perfect profile. After taking the shot i checked to see if the other rabbits had stuck around - they hadn't.

shootkings.jpg

route mark with yellow line, rabbit marked with yellow dot

I collected the rabbit and headed back to the car. I did have a quick look around under the pilon, but then decided to explore the rest of the shoot another day. I have a good feeling about this shoot, i'm hoping it will provide alot of sport in the spring/summer.

I'm loving this NightVison lark too :)

DSCN0297.jpg

Well done, good exercise and you clearly had a good time.

Next time if there are plenty about keep downwind of them and skirt the field, ie keep yourself between them and the warrens, then you can work your way across the field as they will often run to another part without going to ground. It's also worth waiting 15 mins and looking again as they will re-emerge if they don't see or smell you. You can bag more that way.

one rabbit is better than no rabbits . its best to find out where the warrens are during the day and camp out at night and dont forget to keep down wind of them and your be knocking them off all night .well done :good:

and of course stalk, not walk. Rolling your foot gentle on the ground to avoid vibration. Sorry if teaching my granny to suck eggs, but you can be silent and have the wind on your face, but walk and stump your way along and you want see many rabbits - only the disappearing into the distance variety :yp:

Duncan

Edited by The Duncan