What scope for lamping foxes

Archie-fox

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How many foxes are shot at 300 yards under the lamp with ANY scope?

Either call them in or pick your conditions to go out so you can work the wind and it covers your noise so you can work into the animal and you can be sure of the shot.

With a foxing calibre CF 300 yards is a bloody long shot at anything in perfect conditions, nevermind assessing drop and windage in the dark; I would rather be sure of the shot than miss and educate the fox.

How many foxes are shot at 300 yards under the lamp with ANY scope?

Either call them in or pick your conditions to go out so you can work the wind and it covers your noise so you can work into the animal and you can be sure of the shot.

With a foxing calibre CF 300 yards is a bloody long shot at anything in perfect conditions, nevermind assessing drop and windage in the dark; I would rather be sure of the shot than miss and educate the fox.

Agree 100%.

I concur...

Although I am now firmly in the camp of a decent variable... That said I had an 8x56 Swaro and rated it very highly (the local foxes didn't mind).

That said, extra mag can be god send with long shots and even with some under 200 - I've picked up a fair few that layed up in stubble with only the top of their head showing, it's situations like this were a good variable really does help.... that and 700 yard hare shooting with a HMR :yp:

its an even longer shot with an 8x56 and is just luck if you hit it, with a decent variable you still get a decent fox image at that range, as GB says where they really pay off is when you can only see part of a fox as well as quarry ID especially when you can only see part of one. Those who have an 8x56 are of course going to say its all they need but if you've had one and moved on with a foxing rifle you know the benefits.

The secondary benefit is it makes 200 yard crows far easier in daylight ;)

For the money 8x56 is hard to beat, I'd rather have a s&b/swaro 8x56 over a cheapo Variable any day..

yes definately !

However it would be more beneficial with a Higher quality Variable, should your funds allow!

i do feel my HMR would possibly benefit from a higher mag or variable scope but after having the S&B i dont think i could settle for anything less in quality?

if you are looking for a variable scope at the right money take a look at the Bushnell elite 4200 I have one in 4x16x50 and never struggled with it in any situation after 7 years of use, had S/B,swaro,zeiss,burris ,Leopold, to compare it with all in all a good scope.

8x56 do provide great clarity but even if you only shoot foxes at sub 200 yards, a higher mag offers a larger target and kill zone. 99% of my foxes are shot at less then 200 yards but I would say 50% are spotted at over 300 yards away. A high mag makes initial identification so much easier. I bet a high percentage of 8x56 owners have squeaked a muntjac or two! I know I have! Lol

they are a nightmare round us, you know its likely to be a muntjac but they are always in hedges looking out at you and don't move. Under a filter they are just annoying, white light you can usually tell eventually but not at 200 yards :no:

Ginger cats are another that are hard to tell

Haha, even if it acts muntac like it's always worth a double check. Shot a vixen last week curled up at the base of a hedge in long grass. It never twiched under white light, my 2 buddies thought it was a munty but were glad I double checked! A head shot later they were convinced but at 250 yards it was hard to tell. Had to get 100yards closer to make sure. If it was middle of a field you can tel instantly but in cover it's a tough call! Alex, I still haven't decided between nightforce 5.5-22x56 or swaro pv 6-24-50 but now zeiss duralyte 3-12x50 at £550 seems tempting!! Lol

Haha, even if it acts muntac like it's always worth a double check. Shot a vixen last week curled up at the base of a hedge in long grass. It never twiched under white light, my 2 buddies thought it was a munty but were glad I double checked! A head shot later they were convinced but at 250 yards it was hard to tell. Had to get 100yards closer to make sure. If it was middle of a field you can tel instantly but in cover it's a tough call! Alex, I still haven't decided between nightforce 5.5-22x56 or swaro pv 6-24-50 but now zeiss duralyte 3-12x50 at £550 seems tempting!! Lol

Surely a ginger cat is classed as vermin? :unsure:

wow really opend up a can of worms hear

thanks for all the different opinions i think it will be a s&b 8x56

just gonna start looking for a decent 2nd hand one now... if any body should hear of one please let me no

Thanks.

give ivythorne sporting a ring ask for steve , he always has a good stock of quality second hand scopes , :good: i bought my last swaro off him and it was a bargain .