no crops, green fields only

semiauto1984

i have permission to shoot quiet a few farms in my area but most of these farms only have green fields or crops in early autumn. Since the close of the game shooting season iv gota real itchy trigger finger and love to give the pigeons a go.iv acquired some decoys and camo netting. iv seen pigeons on these farms because there not far from a wooded area. Any tips on shooting pigeons on green fields.

cheers

rob

Since its warmed up a bit and the grass has started to put a bit of growth on they have been going nuts for the clover, probably getting bored with bitter old rape and want something sweeter for a change.

Mind you with all the shiny spinny things, scarecrows and gas gun on the rape I have they're probably a bit peed off with all the distractions at the dinner table :lol:

Fuzrat

Were abouts in Ireland are you?

If you dont actually see pigeons feeding on a certain field then its not likely you'll draw them in but then again maybe you might get a few to come in!

Is there any way you could roost shoot them in the wood you talked about otherwise just get under the flightline there using going from the wodd to were ever you see them feeding, wait for a windy day you'll shoot far more on a windy day.

Were abouts in Ireland are you?

If you dont actually see pigeons feeding on a certain field then its not likely you'll draw them in but then again maybe you might get a few to come in!

Is there any way you could roost shoot them in the wood you talked about otherwise just get under the flightline there using going from the wodd to were ever you see them feeding, wait for a windy day you'll shoot far more on a windy day.

west limerick.what time would you set up for roost shooting?

west limerick.what time would you set up for roost shooting?

I personally havent done that much roost shooting so maybe other users could inform you better but I'd imagine about an hour and half before it gets dark. Just stand beside a tree with a face veil on, keep your movement down to a minimum and you should bag a few.

i have permission to shoot quiet a few farms in my area but most of these farms only have green fields or crops in early autumn. Since the close of the game shooting season iv gota real itchy trigger finger and love to give the pigeons a go.iv acquired some decoys and camo netting. iv seen pigeons on these farms because there not far from a wooded area. Any tips on shooting pigeons on green fields.

cheers

rob

Yeah...dont do it...strictly interpreting the General Licence its illegal.

PW members, dont come back at me with all FM is an this Anti ****....If there are no crops to protect you will be shooting birds in contravention of the Wildlife and Countryside act 2006. To which the Wood Pigeon is afforded the same protection as any other Wild Bird Species.

If the Farmer has a crop of clover he harvests (doubt it) or grows it for fodder then thats a different matter. :yes: But to lure pigeons to and shoot them on pasture alone is not right IMO...

Light the blue touch paper and stand back...... :lol:

PW members, dont come back at me with all FM is an this Anti ****....If there are no crops to protect you will be shooting birds in contravention of the Wildlife and Countryside act 2006. To which the Wood Pigeon is afforded the same protection as any other Wild Bird Species.

If the Farmer has a crop of clover he harvests (doubt it) or grows it for fodder then thats a different matter. :yes: But to lure pigeons to and shoot them on pasture alone is not right IMO...

Fair comment, gives some balance to the repsonse's. :yes:

• 2 weeks later...

Soooo,

playing devils advocate how would that be applied to roost shooting? Taking the licence to it's literal meaning, would be that as one cannot see the pigeons feeding on a crop how can you justify shooting them, as you do not know with any amount of certainty that said pigeons have been damaging crops...

Not being confrontational - just offering up a thought

ATB

Andy