Floaters

Bobba

Just canvassing views on the height at which colleagues set their floaters? (My view of a what is a floater for the purposes of this enquiry is an open winged, fan tailed decoy on a fibre glass spring rod where the rod is tilted (just) away from the wind with the decoy facing into the wind)I vary mine. But is there a view on minimum / maximum height?

I ask because my farming friend uses dead bird bouncers and is quite fussy about how high he has the bird off the ground.Incidentally, he never gives a finite reason for this practice. When asked he just says "Because"!!!

Regards

Bob

Edited by Bobba

I worry more about how it bounces in the wind rather than the height. The amount the rod is extended ( as long as this is the type you are referring to) will determine how much movement the rod will allow; The lighter the wind the more I tend to extend it.

As far as height is concerned, I tend to have mine at around 4-5 feet off the ground. You could I suppose watch the birds as they decoy into your pattern and guage what height they are at the point you place your bouncer, but at a guess they would usually be higher than the height you could extend your bouncer.

In light winds I have the pole fully extended and the height depends on the weight of the deek and the angle the pole is set at. I try to have the deek 'flying' horizontally so I adjust the angle accordingly. In stronger winds I'll set the angle shallower and shorten the pole so that it is still horizontal, but lower and more stable in the wind. Sometimes, depending on circumstances they work with the pigeon almost vertically on the shortest setting, mimicking a pigeon putting the brakes on immediately prior to landing.