another mad scientist moment

stubby

just had a reply from a supplier, £15 for 6 motors with gearboxes, if the new idea for mounting the units works, and running a few from a larger battery works, then these would end up only costing a few ££££'s, less than the amount I first thought, quite a difference price wise than those offered on the bay of E :good:

Stubby

Have a look on here www.robives.com/mechs- it might give you some ideas for alternative/ additional methods of movement.

Maybe you can get it to peck, add some wings for a flap then a bit of a waddle.

I've thought about trying to make a more realistic flapper than those demented ones on the market but the mechanics of a real flapping wing are extremely complex and trying to replicate this is nigh on impossible unless you have a degree in robotics and electronics.

Good luck with your project and keep your pecker up!

I saw a neat little pigeon decoy on the bay of E which consisted of a modded plastic shell decoy and a motor, at a price of £30 inc postage it looked great, but a few would really be needed, pushing up the total to the £100 mark, the tight fisted devil appeared in me :lol:

so in the shed I grabbed a shell decoy and the dremmel and got cutting, thats the easy bit, once cut and re-fixed, the head looks amazingly lifelike when moved independantly from the body, things were looking good, next a trip to maplins, for the trial and error stage, I know sweet FA about electrics,motors,gears etc, so just bought their kit box £5.99 for 2 motors,fixing brackets and battery box, with a few other bits and pieces, went home and locked myself in the shed

the first attemp worked ok to a degree but kept sticking, everything else was souced from my odd's and sodd's box and it was enjoyable tinkering, took me back to my days as a youngster with the mechano,

1st prototype

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XtoUyi6Ciw

so I made a few adjustments, the motor continuously turns now, but the deek acts more like a demented woody woodpecker on "speed", so it needs alot more adjustments and rethinks before I go into production :lol::lol::lol:

Im thinking a much larger wheel/cog direct from the motor, may slow the speed down :hmm: (feel free to advise) and a new arm design (mines made from a pigeon cage bobwire) and maybe some form of strap under the pigeons head to hold the arm, as have it loose the arm tends to go a bit kaotic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtZbjcZ3jPs

if anything, Ive spent an enjoyable few hours in the shed(yesterday) and cheered you lot up by giving you a laugh on a rainy day like today, if you have any ideas to add, feel free to comment :good:

Absolutely gutted! Read the words, can't see the pics. Can yhou post a link please? :o :D