Aya stripping

Metric

Hi all

I would like to remove the wood from my aya no2 it is a side lock , as their are quite a few marks on the stock. The problem I have is iv never done it before. Can anybody give me some advise on the best way of doing this without parts flying out from the gun when I try and remove the wood. It isn't a cheep gun to start with but I would like to give it a go. Also what is the best method for stripping and oil or wax finish.

Cheers all

Ian.

Hi all

I would like to remove the wood from my aya no2 it is a side lock , as their are quite a few marks on the stock. The problem I have is iv never done it before. Can anybody give me some advise on the best way of doing this without parts flying out from the gun when I try and remove the wood. It isn't a cheep gun to start with but I would like to give it a go. Also what is the best method for stripping and oil or wax finish.

Cheers all

Ian.

The best way to strip the finish is with somthinhg like nitromors paint and varnish stripper. Lather ot on and wait for the finish to bubble then use a washing up sponge and wash it down in the sink, use an old toothbrush to clean the chequerring. Leave to dry, then for any dents get a wet tea towel put it over the mark and apply a hot iron, this will raise the dent, rub down with 0000 wirewool and re-finish with whatever you desire. You get a napier oil finishing kit which has everything you need for about £20 on ebay.

Don't think anyones actually told you how to remove the stock. Remove locks, 1/2 screws in sideplates, nothing will fly out! Remove trigger guard which will reveal another screw underneath, remove screw under top lever and one through base plate and thats it. Be very careful if sanding near edges that mate to action you can easily remove too much wood. In fact I have refinished stocks without removing them if the wood finish between chequering and action is unmarked, just put a plastic bag over the action and tape neatly around the cheqering, that keeps nitromorse and water away from the action and protects the chequering. Goodluck