.17 bullet "stuck^ in the breech

The last .17 Hornady round I fired today got "stuck" in the breech and did not leave the rifle. It was not jammed at all and knocked out easily and had no rifling marks on it so I can only assume there was not enough charge in the bullet to fire it?

I have no doubt that had I tried to load another round it would have met with the tail end of the other bullet and not allowed me to load and close the bolt.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Edited by Katzenjammer

Me too, lamping a month ago with blue tips. Only realised when the next round didn't want to chamber!

Thought it was strange when the rabbit just hopped on into the hedge. Got to say that i didn't even

hear any difference in the shot going off.

Me too, lamping a month ago with blue tips. Only realised when the next round didn't want to chamber!

Thought it was strange when the rabbit just hopped on into the hedge. Got to say that i didn't even

hear any difference in the shot going off.

yes mine were blue tips and I didn't really hear any difference in the shot going off - maybe a tad quieter.

i had it last months with fedral v shock just a click no bang was scared **** lass to open bolt but the powder in case

looked wet to me any way just knocked cleaning rod down barrel to knock it out quite nice to see bullet head such a small bullet

head with so much punch poor bunnys

Edited by swiss.tony

I was out shooting with Katzenjammer when this happened. TBH i dont think there was any report from the rifle just the click from the firing pin although in all fairness i was'nt paying too much attention. I suppose its possible that the primer ignited but failed to ignite the powder charge, thats if there was actually any powder in the case to start with :unsure: Thinking about it though as all rimfire ammunition is produced in volume in a factory i suppose its more likely of a faulty round slipping through the net as it where. Theres simply nothing like a finely tuned hand loaded round but unfortunately thats just not possible with rimfire. Guess this is a cautionary tale and we must all be aware of what can happen and the resulting circumstances. I was using blue tips as well and i've been getting a few split cases but this has been discussed before. Bought 200 rounds on Friday and they are all orange tips not that it will make any difference

ATB Pat