Micrometer Bullet Seater

Hi,

Could you give me your advice on Micrometer Bullet Seaters, I am looking for one for 223. Please could you explain the bushing you have to buy for the RCBS Comp bullet seater.

What make do you use?

Thanks,

Reggiegun

Forster all the way... best in the business! Can't explain the bushhings in a seating die... you sure it's not a neck sizer?

Both the Forster Ultra seater and the Redding Comp. seater are excellent dies.

You dont need a bushing for the seating die, only for the neck sizing die.

A bush of a certain internal diametre is selected to size the neck to a chosen neck tension.

These bushings come in .001" increments and the chosen ID is calculated by adding the bullet diamtre to twice the neck thickness and deducting the amount of neck tension wanted, eg. .257 + .015" + .015" minus .003" for neck tension which equals .284" ID.

It is pointless using neck bushing sizing dies if you dont neck turn.

Ian.

Edited by Vermincinerator

Ian.

Why is that Ian?

I always neck size, and in my mind it has a few advantages over full length sizing. For example, cases stay expanded to exactly fit your chamber, which promotes accuracy. Neck sizing is kinder to the brass as it works it less, which aids case life.

I think Ian was commenting on neck turning and not neck sizing, as your probably aware with neck turning you are creating a very consistant/uniform thickness of the case neck, as the bushing die is used it will size the neck allot more consistantly, If the neck had not been neck turned you may have thicker parts left on the case neck therefore increasing neck tension in say one part of the neck more than another :good:

Thanks for that explanaition Dougy i will just elaborate a little.

Bushing neck dies size the outside of the case neck only, sizing is done by interchangeable bushes of different internal diametres .

Standard neck dies reduce the neck smaller then what is needed and actual size the ID to a consistant dimension, by drawing the neck back over an expander ball on its exit from the die.

Ian.

Both the Forster Ultra seater and the Redding Comp. seater are excellent dies.

You dont need a bushing for the seating die, only for the neck sizing die.

A bush of a certain internal diametre is selected to size the neck to a chosen neck tension.

These bushings come in .001" increments and the chosen ID is calculated by adding the bullet diamtre to twice the neck thickness and deducting the amount of neck tension wanted, eg. .257 + .015" + .015" minus .003" for neck tension which equals .284" ID.

Ian.

Ian,

Next question is where do I buy Forster Ultra seater

Before you finally dip your hand in your pocket for an expensive seating die, do a little research into the Wilson seating dies - totally different concept but very much used by the top flight bench people - see:

http://www.6mmbr.com/catalog/item/1433308/892382.htm

Also have a look at this chap's use of the dies:

I would also recommend on You Tube searching for Ammosmith - he has some very good instructional videos for the beginner as well as the more experienced reloader.

I would say this though, seating the bullet to be concentric with the bore is only one part of the process - what really counts is all the processes BEFORE you get to seat the bullet head. What we are trying to do is make every case we prep an exact clone of the last one we made.

Someone mentioned neck turning, dont forget there are two sides to a neck - thicknesses can occur on the inside as well as the outside. I use Carbide cutters to replace the turning tool's mandrel.

To be honest, the world is your oyster when it comes to reloading but limited by the depth of your pocket. There are many out there with very basic equipement that produce excellent results. My goal with reloading is to get my ammunition to have a run out of no more than 1 thou and a fps spread of less than 10 But hey I am an anorak - what do you expect!!

Peter

Wilson dies are excellent, i have been using an arbour press set up for 7 years, although i now make my own dies.

A full Arbour press set up (including press, dies, micrometer top, bush and die base) is available from Sinclair for less then the price of a set of Redding Comp dies here in the UK and that includes shipping and tax.

They are worth a look and consecutive dies are £30-£40 a piece regardless os calibre.

Ian.

Edited by Vermincinerator

What do they charge for shipping approx?

They calculate shipping on weight so i cant answer that one exactly Reggie but the last lot of equipment i had from them cost me $24 shipping, parcel weight was about 1kg but that was 2 years ago.

I have always found that its cheaper to buy from them and the other BIG advantage is that everything is usually in stock especially unusual calibres which can be in your hands in about 7 days.

None of this waiting for out of stock items or that sharp intake of breath you get when you ask for anything remotely different, thats associated with domestic suppliers.

Ian.