Rats, Rats, and more Rats + New Permission

cynic

My computer died, so I’ve not been able to post. Heres my last four trips amalgamated. I’ll try and keep it brief :)

25th Feb – Evening @ the Veg Farm

Arrived around 7.30pm. Had a good chat Ian (the owner) upon arrival, as I’de not seen him since before Xmas. He asked me “Have you ever tried the Bury Road field?” I had no idea what he was talking about… turns out that he has another 12 acre field about half a mile up the road! So I now have a new permission! See map below.

BuryRoad.jpg

Not been there yet, but hope to have a look around next week.

Anyway, back to the night at the veg farm. Loads of rabbits about, but I couldn’t get near, the ground was way too squelchy.

Just got 1 rat near the skip. Would have had more, but I forgot the red filter.

DSCN0299.jpg

28th Feb – evening @ the B&B Farm

Last time I spoke to Bob (the owner) he said that March was the time he might be selling up, so I thought I’de visit and see what the situation was. Everything is fine till at least the end of March, and he’ll keep me abreast of the situation.

Had a good night ratting. Not much else to say.

DSCN0350.jpg

2nd March - evening @ the B&B Farm

2 nights later I was back at the B&B Farm. I had a look for rabbits before ratting. In the top field I spotted a glint in the hedge, which turned into 2 eyes. I thought it was a fox, and started squeaking it. After a couple of minutes it immerged from the hedge, but it wasn’t a fox, it was a rabbit! I slowly crept forward, but the rabbit bounded further up the hedgerow, I closed the range again, just as I was settling to take the shot he disappeared back into the hedge. I flicked on the torch and realised that it was probably only 15 yards away! I didn’t need to stalk closer! Doh!

I finished with a spot of ratting, and chalked-up another 2.

DSCN0351-1.jpg

4th March - evening @ the B&B Farm

I’m really making the most of this shoot while I can, 3 trips in 1 week!

Again I started out in the field looking for rabbits with the NV (worth every penny of the £99 price tag!). I had a perfect opportunity in the top field. A rabbit out in the open, 50 yards away, I stalked it perfectly, got within range and slowly lowered down to prone, flicked on the lamp, the rabbit didn’t even flinch. I peered through the scope. And could even see the rabbits breath in the cold night air. I had all the time in the world and rested the crosshair just behind the rabbits eye, gently squeezed the trigger, the rabbit bolted! I have no idea what went wrong. But its **** law that this happened the one night I forgot my ZeroNite target dots, which I use religiously to check zero once I’m on the permission.

After that I gave up on the rabbits and concentrated on the rats, nailing another 4 for the tally (and a further one which couldn’t be retrieved).

DSCN0353-1.jpg

8 days, 4 trips, 11 rats, lots of fun.