First Shotgun??

chrisd76

Hello :good: I have been shooting with my mates for a month or so now at our local clay ground. Im looking to buy my first O/U shotgun and I was hoping to get some opinions. I will for the forseable future only using it for clay pigeon shooting.

I really like the look of the Winchester Select Sporting 2 and it has got some good reviews, although I was a little put off by the lack or written warranty.

My second option was a Lanber De Lux Sporter, probably not as well finished as the Winchester, but comes with a 5 year warranty and slighty cheaper.

Option 3 would to go for a second hand Beretta or similar.

Help :hmm:

Edited by chrisd76

owned and used a few lanbers, great guns for the money

had a miroku 3700, regret selling it to this day

whatever you buy make sure it fits, try a few before you buy and see which you shoot best with

whats your budget...that may help peolpe give you advice

Edited by TJ91

Under £1000 you have a choice of Browning Miroku or Beretta secondhand or Lanber, Winchester Brandnew.

For my money a second hand Browning is what i went for, but had lessons on Beretta and Miroku's and tried both a secondhand Browning 525 and Beretta 686 and bought the Browning...

Hopefully wont loose much if i ever decide to sell/upgrade it

Best advice I can give is to search on here and read up lots. Loads of people ask this same question. What first gun should I buy?

Theres 2 things I consider myself when buying a gun. Firstly how does it feel? Its no use buying a big name gun if it just doesnt fit you. Secondly for me I consider resale value... how will that gun hold its value.

The lanber is a lovely gun. I own one myself. But, it drops in value like a brick. Therefore, if it fits you well and you really want one, it makes sense to just buy a 2nd hand one. That way, you will loose very little on it and still have a nearly new gun. Im sure you can pick up one for £400 2nd hand, which would save you a lot of money.

If you have to spend £1000 on 1 gun then you have a very very wide choice of guns to choose from. Id get down a local gunshop or 2, try a few out for size. Make a note of the make / models then do some research on the net to see what sort of price you should be paying for them before parting with your cash. Also search the make / model on the internet, as well as on this forum to get reviews and see what other other people have said about the gun your thinking of.

If you buy second hand the first purchaser has taken the big depreciation hit from new! Chances are you will change your gun, or keep it as I did and buy more! TBH find one that fits and you can afford, worry less about the label.

Buy a big cabinet!

I have a Winchester Select Sporting 2. Great gun,just felt "right" from the moment i picked it up. Thats not to say that you will feel the same of course. Winchester are marketed by BWM. Basically thats Browning,Winchester,Miroku. In fact stamped on the Winchesters barrels are "Made By FN Belgium". I did try a used Beretta and nearly bought a Browning Citori before i picked the Winny up. If you're going to use it for mainly clays my advice would be to go for the 30" barrels as well :good: .

ATB Pat

I used a Browning 525 on my lesson this week. They were happy my mounting was coming on and started adjusting the gun to suit.

They said the Beretta would be a better fit for me due to my build. So apart from lessons helping me shoot, they are able to advise on best fit.

So for me, lessons are the key to a good fit..

I have a Winchester Select Sporting 2. Great gun,just felt "right" from the moment i picked it up. Thats not to say that you will feel the same of course. Winchester are marketed by BWM. Basically thats Browning,Winchester,Miroku. In fact stamped on the Winchesters barrels are "Made By FN Belgium". I did try a used Beretta and nearly bought a Browning Citori before i picked the Winny up. If you're going to use it for mainly clays my advice would be to go for the 30" barrels as well :good: .

ATB Pat

Hi mate, Im in the Newcastle Area. Can you tell me where you got yours from and if they had a demo gun??

Hi Chris, i got mine From Bradford Stalker at Ouston. I shopped around and he did a price match sort of thing. I did speak to Weldon Gun Room and the guy was really helpful,even said i could "try before i buy". But Bradfords is nearer to where i live so by the time i put travel costs on i just went local. Have dealt with bradfords on and off for years as well. Shop around though and do ask if any discount is available. You might see a used Berreta, Browning or Miroku that takes your fancy while you're shopping about as well. Good luck mate! :good: .

ATB Pat