Touring Caravan & Shotguns

NickP

When I was reading the recent thread on how to keep your shotgun in a hotel and the fact a few people say they are living in a caravan at the moment, this got me thinking. :hmm:

I use my touring caravan for my holidays around the UK and would also like to travel to other clay pigeon grounds around the country.

So what could I do to be able to take my shotgun (when i have one) with me, or is it best just to try hire when at the locations.

I would be away from a weekend to a fortnight and it seems a shame to be away near great grounds and not make it worth while.

Thanks

Nick :good:

:lol: Oh, I have a wheel in there and a pump and a set of seat covers and a luggage net and a little sweeping brush and...... not much room for a anything else now ;)

I was thinking under one of the front seats, with a trigger lock, barrel locks and chained in a case to the caravan seating frame, but its not in a gun safe and the caravan would not be occupied all the time etc though it is alarmed, etc

I just was wondering on this, as in reality, on a holiday away with the wife and 2 kids, I wouldn't probably be allowed to disappear to go shooting, especially if i was away for just a weekend. :/

there would be room for one of those, but i have to look at 2 fixing kits, one in the car for when towing, and a fixing kit for the caravan for when onsite as 20KG weight is quite a fair bit

thinking this might be too much hassle and hiring a gun will be easier :yes: after all i'll just need my wallet and SGC then and have less worry :lol:

If your gun has a hard case, I would carry the stock and forend around in the car and leave the barrels in the 'van.

If you haven't a hard case I suggest that you buy one.

The case can be attached to a solid part of the car with a cable lock, which should be looped around the case to make it difficult to open.

Cheaper option to the autosafe is http://www.chamberlock.com/ if you keep the gun in parts (O/U take foreend off and lock separately). You have to take reasonable precautions perhaps ask FEO on their visit what they would be happy with (if you intend to travel with gun.

I have http://www.scottcountry.co.uk/products_detail.asp?productID=1463&froogle=true not sure if you can still get them and lock it to a solid object when away from home with the gun (lashing point in boot of car) copper rad/water pipe in hotel room etc

Remember that your shotguns security is your responsibility and yours alone. there is nothing to stop you taking it away with you whilst holidaying in your caravan. After all look at how many people take their guns with them whilst staying in a caravan at the gamefair.

However, that said if your gun was stolen you would be accountable and in deep trouble. There is no way you can safely secure a gun in a touring caravan whilst the caravan is left unattended anymore than you can in a car.

All you can do is to split the gun up into component parts and secure these individually keeping the forend on your person and say the barrels secured in your car and the action in the caravan. at least then if one part is stolen you can prove that you have taken reasonable steps to secure the gun. However I doubt the police would be impresses should the unfortunate happen. There are strict security/storage rules for static caravans and the police will pass such installations but the methods of securing safes in statics are not possible in touring vans.

What a load of fear and overkill is posted on here. Remind me not to stop the car and park anywhere, when I have my gun in it :blink:

Unsecured in a locked car if it gets pinched you could have an issue if they don't think you've taken reasonable steps (i think the guidance is not to leave cars unattended with firearms in them (in pub car parks etc)

http://www.shootingtimes.co.uk/features/295848/Advice_on_carrying_guns_in_cars.html

Caravans/Cars overnight can't see feo being happy but its the cert holders decision

If your gun has a hard case, I would carry the stock and forend around in the car and leave the barrels in the 'van.

The case can be attached to a solid part of the car with a cable lock, which should be looped around the case to make it difficult to open.

That's the way to do it. :good: :good:

What a load of fear and overkill is posted on here. Remind me not to stop the car and park anywhere, when I have my gun in it :blink:

I regularly travel and stay in hotels with my guns and it,s not a problem.

However taking away a gun whilst holidaying in a touring caravan is a different kettle of fish. It would be irresponsible and foolish to leave it in the caravan whilst it was unattended and the same would go for the car.

Therefore I see naught wrong with the advice that has been posted. Remember that people have, quite rightly, been prosecuted when guns have been stolen from unattended vehicles. I would not leave my wallet in an unattended car or caravan so why on earth would I leave a gun.

As the OP is new to shotguns it would be irresponsible of us not to point out his security obligations, after all other peoples lax security has reprecussions for us all.

CharlieT,

I posted this earlier, does it not meet your standards?

Thanks CharlieT

Can i point out that I am aware of the implications, hence asking for opinion on what people thought, but at the end of the day I won't leave the whole gun in a bricks and mortar hotel room, never mind a caravan with with plastic windows and standard door locks a child could break through with a toy shovel.

But i thought i would get the forums opinion on it, as i said earlier I think it would be easier to shoot at a ground that could hire me a gun, it saves the risk, hassle and the licence if things went bad.

After all the local ***** wound not care were he got the new 'van for his ma and her Dags, whether off the drive, the caravan site etc, so i really think the risks out way the gain, especially as I'm not going to be competing in anything, just social shooting, so it doesn't matter if its my own gun or not at the moment :good: