Wrong time of day? Or what?

WoodyPopper

I went out on my permission for the second time (with a gun) this afternoon. It was the first time with decoys and a hide (sort of).

The good news is that the only pigeon that came within range, came and landed in the middle of my pattern on some maize stubble left at the edge of a field. I didn't even shoot at it - I was so astounded to see it.

Apart from that, it was the same as when I went out at the same time last week. I was there from 15:30 to 17:45 and hardly saw any pigeons.

I was out there doing a recce on Sunday afternoon and saw plenty of pigeons in several places - including where I was this afternoon. Even the wind was in the same direction. So, is 15:30 just too late at this time of year?

The pheasants and partridges were all out and about. Are pigeons just early to bed?

Things learnt:

The Jack Pyke clear view (?) camo material I bought is not nearly enough to build a hide.

Thorns really hurt when you get one right down the side of your finger nail.

same here went out yesterday of a recce lots of birds about so of i went today got set up by 9.30 and two hours latter i give up with one crow couple of pigeons flew over but not into the pattern i was on turnips and the field next to it a drilled field 100 yards away this pigeon shooting is a frustrating sport

Over Wellingborough Ive been seeing them move in significant numbers at about 4.20pm ish to about 5pm.

Quite impressive to watch really, the downside is they seem to be feeding on clover in very large horse fields filled with horses, funnily enough. Lots of 'no-go' shooting land in the area. Still, it provides a repopulating zone I suppose - the glass is half full :P

Duncan

You should not be looking for where the birds are feeding but where they are flying to the fields and it is under these flight lines that you set up,and that isthe best bit as you already have them (one) coming into your pattern,try to find a field that has been drilled in the last couple of days and the flight line and you will be well in.

As for feeding times,i have a field of osr out the back of my sitting room and the birds are ALWAYS there feeding at about 11 o clock and 3 o clock,but they will feed on and off all day come rain or shine till its to dark to see :good:

That Jack Pyke clearview is useless for normal hides. Better to use it as a cloak and drape it over you and the dog if they are coming in over your head or string it up as a roof on your hide. It needs a solid background to be other than amost 100% see-through.

That Jack Pyke clearview is useless for normal hides. Better to use it as a cloak and drape it over you and the dog if they are coming in over your head or string it up as a roof on your hide. It needs a solid background to be other than amost 100% see-through.

True :mad:

Still got to buy a proper hide sheet - buy cheap, buy twice (I learn yet again).

At this time of year i would say 3.30pm is far too late to set up. You may get some to decoy, but i would say set up closer to 12pm and that would be better. You could also try first light. I remember a cracking morning on rape four years back - i was shooting from 6.30 am and packed up at 11.30am with 138 woodies.

Edited by motty