What size cartridges do you shoot clays with?

FreeZey

I've been considering buying a Beretta A400 Xplor light but since it's the low weight design it can only handle 2 3/4" to 3" cartridges and not the 3 1/2" ones.

Will this be an issue if I'm just shooting clays? I assumed the larger loads were for things like turkey's so I wouldn't need them. Or are there 3 1/2 inch cartridges that are good for clays too that I might want to shoot some day?

You'd never use 3.5" for clays but some semis wont cycle the 65mm carts reliably. IF its for clays why a Semi? Why not an O/U there is a reason they are the most common clay gun! If you want lightweight then you can get O/U lightwieghts at 6lb or less but the weight helps reduce recoil and steady swing

Thanks for the quick replys and helping put my mind at rest.

Also apologises for posting here I missed the "Bullets, Cartridges and Reloading" sub forum :)

As for why I just find it's a person preference. Do semi's have more recoil (even with the gas system) then O/U?

With a semi it can be a bit of trial and error, it can be try several makes and once you found one your gun cycles happily with stick to it. For clays I would never go above 28G cartridges.

With my Semi I use Hull Comp X 21G or 28G fibre wads cartridges, just lucky my semi will cycle 21G cartridges without any problems.

Edited by BerettaSV10

Shoulders fine, I'm just a wuss :) that's why I'm going for a gas rather than inertia driven and a stock with a Kick Off.

Thanks for the advice I will experiment with a few brands and see what performs best.

You will be fine with an o/u or a semi with clay carts as they are generally light loads, if you do decide to shoot game then you will need a bigger load and you may notice it a bit. But to be honest I don't notice recoil any more even with the larger 3 Inch loads that are not that bad if you have the gun placed were it should be in your shoulder.

A friend on here said he had some hv Remington wildfowling loads that really did kick like a mule. I never got to try them and I think they worked out at around £5 a shot. You should be fine with clays. I also use an auto only because I shoot ok with it and with a 28 grm of 7s you barely notice it. :good:

Edited by mpk

A friend on here said he had some hv Remington wildfowling loads that really did kick like a mule. I never got to try them and I think they worked out at around £5 a shot. You should be fine with clays. I also use an auto only because I shoot ok with it and with a 28 grm of 7s you barely notice it. :good:

:blink: :blink: :blink:

£5 a shot :o :o :o