Last weeks hunting, Rats, Squirrels and more... with VIDS

cynic

I've just had a weeks holiday, and what better way to spend it than doing lots of shooting? :) So heres an amalgamated report for the weeks hunting activities. Sorry, its a mommoth post :)

Monday 21st - Evening at the B&B farm

I spent a while in the fields looking for rabbits. Managed to get within range of one, but my new pal Mr. Badger was close by (about 15m to my left). I decided to ignor him, but when i flicked on the lamp to take the shot, he spotted the rabbit and headed straight for it. The rabbit casually slinked off into a hidden hole. Didn't see much about after that.

I finished off with a spot of ratting around the pig houses, and added 2 more to the tally.

DSCN0366.jpg

Tuesday 22nd - Morning AND evening at the B&B farm!

Yup, pretty much a whole day hunting! :)

I started off with the customary zero check, I do this in a small wooded area behind the garages and woodshed. I stick the ZeroNite target dots to a telegraph pole thats nestled in amongst the trees. As i approched the pole a rabbit darted out infront of me, but he disappeared off down the steep bank and out of sight.

After that i headed to the woods infront of the house. Sat at the base of a large pine, i waited for any passing squirrels. After a while I noticed some movement in the peripheral vision to my left. Something moving through the undergrowth, at first it looked like a young squirrel, but then i got a much better look as it passed right infront of me. It was a Stoat! The first i've ever seen. I managed to just catch it on camera before it disappeared (the camera takes a few seconds to switch on, so it is just a fleeting glimpse!).

Shortly after that i had this encounter with a squirrel, absolute sitter of a shot....

It went pretty quiet for a while, i decided to have one last look around before heading home for some food. Then i noticed movement up ahead, a rat in broad daylight (Bob said they've been very active during the day). I dropped to one knee and tracked him through the scope, he paused for a brief moment - it was his last. Bang! Right between the eyes. 30m shot from kneeling, i was chuffed with that shot!

DSCN0372.jpg

30m ranged rat

I carried on up the treeline, more movement ahead, a squirrel this time. 15m shot, again from kneeling. First squirrel of the year bagged!

DSCN0381.jpg

i took this photo just before heading home

Further up the treeline, in the gap between the chicken pens and pig houses, I noticed there was a rat loitering. I reprimanded him with swift a clip round the ear... from an AA field diablo. No more loitering for you Mr. Rat.

DSCN0376.jpg

Rat no. 2 passified, 5m shot from standing

Next onto to main set of pig houses (which are actually stables). Staight away i noticed another rat scurrying about at the far end, it ducked under a trough feeder, but i could still see him and tracked him till his head appeared. Bang, he did a little dance into some pig poo, then expired.

DSCN0377.jpg

You dirty Rat!

These four kills all happened really fast. To give you an idea heres a map and times of events....

copythorne22-3-11.jpg

(blue indicates roughly where the shot was taken from, red indicates roughly where the target was)

1. 11.42 Rat no. 1

2. 11.46 Squirrel

3. 11.52 Rat no. 2

4. 11.53 Rat no. 3

(Times on the pics are 1 hour out)

At midday I returned home for a few hours. But i was back on the permission that evening at 8pm for some more ratting, heres the result...

DSCN0384-1.jpg

the middle rat took a dunking in a muddy water trough, which was quite amusing when he did the usual rat twitching

So all together Tuesdays bag was 1 squirrel and 6 rats.

Wednedsay 23rd - Seatown Beach, Dorset

Hunting of a different kind today. I went fossil hunting with Laura. I bagged this little beauty...

DSCN0414-1.jpg

Friday 25th - Morning at the B&B farm

I opened Fridays tally with another squirrel. Cracking shot if i do say so myself. About 20m, i took him off a branch. I wish i'de got it on camera, the fall was quite spectacular.

DSCN0391.jpg

Then some more ratting around the pig houses - i managed to get these filmed! I just can't believe just how bold the second rat is...

DSCN0402.jpg

Obviously, i really enjoyed my week off work :D

• 2 weeks later...